TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Oil additive question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil additive question

I see a lot of debate on the importance of using synthetic oils (Mobil 1 for example). How do people feel about using oil additives like Tribotech for decreased engine friction. I have used it before on other cars and it improved my gas mileage but is there any downside to these type of products on newer cars like the TT? My car is coming up on it's first oil change.
Old 05-31-2001, 04:25 PM

Default To para-phrase . . .

the ****'s I worked for @ BMW (no, kidding - card carrying members of the Hitler Youth Corps!)
rant, rant about how many millions of $ the oil companies and car companies have spent on R&D for how many decades and "you think some joker w/ an oven full of bananna peels" can out think all those guys?????

Stick w/ a good dinosaur juice . . . .
Old 05-31-2001, 04:36 PM

Default Additives for oil: Those that use PTFE based (teflon) systems, have never conclusively been shown

to improve a cars performnce.. (gas use and speed) I believe in the states the Federal Gov. was trying to take slick 50 to court as well as Duralube based on their claims of better gas mileage and improved performance from PTFE based oil additives. The only additive I would use would be one that raises the Octane of your fuel... however unless you can adjust your timing or have a programmable engine management unit or have some reason that you require very high (94+) octane.... it wont do alot for you....One thing to keep in mind is that PTFE has a fairly low melt point (its a thermoplastic) looks visibly like a powdered wax.... do you really want that in your engine? Also you might like to know that in spite of the high costs of these additives they really dont contain much of the friction reducing agents as well.. Im sure someone on the board has the links to the SLick 50 court case.. As for using a synthetic based oil, well this is debatable but if you drive aggresively, live in a very hot or cold climate, idle car for long periods of time sythetic is probably the cheapest insurance you can buy.... plus on start up when cold it has a more favourable viscosity....The dealers are only using dino juice do to keeping the costs down.... if sythetic was the same price as dino juice.... would there be any debate?
Old 06-01-2001, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default DON'T!! I' ve posted the FTC cases links before. Also there is NO debate about syn oil - use it!

..there is a debate over what synthetic oil is.... short answer: use Mobil 1, Redline, Torco or Royal Purple. The rest don't cut it except for Amsoil however I would not use it. JIM