TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OK kids, I need some suggestions, thoughts, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK kids, I need some suggestions, thoughts, etc.

After coming back from my trip, my car wouldn't start. I was gone for 9 days total, and the alarm was on, since my car is not garaged.

It had power, as when I unlocked it and opened the door, the interior lights came on, and when I put the key in and turned to the first stop the display lit up. I paused, then turned to start the car, and nothing. I took the key out, turned off the dome light, and made sure the radio and a/c were off as well, and tried again. Nothing. The third try produced a rapid clicking noise as the starter was trying it's best.

I finally hooked the wife's car up w/jumpers, and let her engine idle for about 2 minutes, then tried again and after hiccupping a few times, it finally turned over. Once running, I drove to my mom's house and then to work, and did not turn it off in bewteen, nor did I run radio or a/c the whole time (and in 95 degree weather that's a real bitch!), about 15 miles of driving altogether.

At my office, since it's a locked garage, I left it with the alarm off. That was at 10:30 am. At 4, I left, and it wouldn't start. I had to jump it again. Again it started right up. I drove straight home and it sits on my lawn.

I did notice a fair bit of dried battery acid on the + terminal, which is a bit odd for a car that's not even a year old. I will disconnect the battery and scrub both clamps with a wire terminal cleaner, but it certainly doesn't look like the contact is being compromised.

Has anyone taken their battery out and hooked it up to a trickle charger? Anyone replaced their battery? Other issues to consider (ECU, my chip, etc.)?

I really hate whenever battery problems surface in a car, because an element of trust is now broken, and is always in the back of your mind from that point onward.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your input, because an archive search didn't turn up much.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Auto Zone type places usually do free battery testing.

...I'd say take it into one of that will do this and then go from there.

I've always wondered what would happen if your alarm goes off and you're not around to shut it off since the lights supposedly flash until you disarm it...Maybe this is what happens?
Old 07-13-2001, 01:43 PM

Default Battery should be covered under the warranty, no? Check the manual.

Maybe call Audi service and have them tow it to your dealer or at least come out and look at it. At the very least, make them determine that the battery's the problem (act like your clueless about cars).
Old 07-13-2001, 01:45 PM

I like your work hours! ; )
Old 07-13-2001, 01:46 PM

No, that didn't happen since my wife was home the whole time I was away.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:49 PM

You don't know what the last 10 days was like. If I told you, you'd be exhausted just hearing it.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:56 PM

Default I can assure you from my experience, it will turn out to be a battery, probably one with a shorted

cell. The chattering starter is the clue that there is not enough juice, and its inability to take a charge is usually indicative of one or more shorted cells - usually one.
Old 07-13-2001, 01:57 PM

Default Maybe you have the lock/light problem and the dome light stayed on....

draining your battery.

For peace of mind, take it your dealer and have them replace it. Don't even think about keeping it with a trickle charge.

(I don't know how I can say for peace of mind take it to your Audi dealer.?&%*)
Old 07-13-2001, 02:17 PM

Default Put a volt meter on it.... but sounds like battery is dead... small accessories

light interior lights and whatnot ussually work even with an almost dead battery.... dont bother tryin to fix it if battery shows say less than 12 volts should probably be around 13.4 13.6 fully charged.... if Its like less than 11 get a new one... even fully chargin it might not work...sometimes if they are flat they wont hold charge....warranty..... hey have them check alternator while doing work to make sure your gettin proper charge while driving
Old 07-13-2001, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's your battery.

Quick Reply: OK kids, I need some suggestions, thoughts, etc.