TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Okay, bear with me here; can someone tell me why I'm getting my timing belt inspected tomorrow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay, bear with me here; can someone tell me why I'm getting my timing belt inspected tomorrow?

More importantly, why am I paying for a replacement, assuming it's called for, if the damned thing has a 100,000 mile warranty? Did I dream that last part up? Yes, I received the letter, but if Audi knows it's a problem why is the consumer getting stuck with the bill?

I have 50,634 miles on my 2000 quattro. (Like that exact figure?) I purchased it new, and I've been averaging about 4,000 miles a year for the past couple of years. I still really like my car, and it's in great condition inside and out--or so I assume--but the idea of plunking down $800 or more is pissing me off. Maybe if Audi would authorize my cluster to be replaced I'd "think different," but my loyalty doesn't seem to be worth a damned thing.

A Yugo might not have been as much fun, but I could have purchased one a year compared to what I paid for the TT, and still have money in the bank. Okay, that assumes that I could <i>find</i> eight Yugos in working order, but you get my point.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Read again...Your warranty is extended only if you get the inspection.....>

and you and I both know, due to age and miles, they will tell you it needs replacing (on your dime, No warranty at that point). I'd be really surprised if it went diferently for you.

It only has a warrantly if they say it does....On their terms.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Rest In Peace

Default it is not a warranty item and never was.....>>>

it is a maintenance item and has always been in the cards for a point of replacement. This would be the case regardless of whether you needed to replace it at 60k or 105k....

What started the issue was premature failure of a tensioner and water pump...from there, people were getting claims done on the warranty of the car from new (4yrs or 50k) or if it was CPO'd.

People began to realize that the belt needed to be replaced after these failures and moved the maintenance window to 60k. This is at the edge of the OEM warranty AND within CPO. Some then chose not to replace the maintenance item and wait for the failure to be covered by the CPO....so it became a PERCEIVED warranty item, which it never really was.

The class action suit covers Audi and was clearly negotiated to allow a revenue stream for the dealer, and remove liability from Audi..

Now you walk in and get an inspection...which is on an item that is NOT the issue....you would have paid either way...so you can roll the dice and wait for a failure which will not be covered without an inspection, or just replace it now to avoid the hassle later. Fairly simple actually...
Old 10-02-2008, 01:53 PM

Default Well, considering how little money I've put into the car, I guess I'm due . . .

I'll double-check my service record tomorrow when I go in, but I haven't had <i>any</i> repairs done outside of warranty with the exception of maintenance and brakes. Nada, zilch, nichts.

I purchased a set of new tires (BF Goodrich g-Force Sports) and a battery from Costco about a month ago, which replaced the original set and the OEM battery. Aside from that, I haven't spent a dime on the car other than mods.

I'll stop whining.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Owasco Audi said my TB was OK at 69,000 Kilometers.

But I drive 40 miles, past two other Audi dealers to take both my Audis there.