TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Okay, one of those things-come-in-threes mornings. Does overflowing your gas tank hurt the

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 05:40 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Okay, one of those things-come-in-threes mornings. Does overflowing your gas tank hurt the

car? Seems to be okay, but remember someone experiencing problems after such an episode.

All started out beautifully this morning....left early for work as I remembered I needed to stop for gas. Go to my usual pump that has always shut off automatically before even though I always stand by to make sure. In pulls a stretch A8 with this lovely old British gent who flips out over the TT, "Lovely car, that" We are standing there by his car and he's asking me about the TT when it registers in my not-enough-coffee-yet brain that, hey it's been pumping a long time. Run over, gas is gushing out all over the rain-soaked pavement and flowing everywhere. Of course, I have to have on high-heeled strappy sandal shoes...so now the gasoline is wicking up my panty hose....spend 10 minutes arguing with the guy at the cash register that he needs to hang a sign on the pump saying it's not working on automatic and that he's going to have a hazardous clean up issue, of course to no avail. Take off for work, whew, nothing seems to be wrong with car. Get off I-95 to my shortcut through Bruce Park when a deer leaps out in front of me and gives me a heart attack...missed it. Then the cut through I take is closed because of flooding....get to work, run to a meeting with upper management a half hour late, and some smart *** has to say, "what is that smell."

So, if car is okay now, it's probably not a problem ... right? Coffee, I need coffee.
Old 05-24-2001, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I went ballistic on a guy once...

when this happened to my g'friend. It did not do anything to the car, but it did get all over her.

PS, if gas got on the paint make sure you clean the area well, as it probably stripped the numerous coats of Zaino you have put on this season!
Old 05-24-2001, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phew! And I thought I had a bad morning: Forgot my purse (brain fade) with my license, money, ...

id card for work (had to be signed in), PDA, etc., etc., etc.

At least you got all 3 out of the way at once! I'm sure you did this, but make sure there's no residue left on the paint.
Old 05-24-2001, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It may hurt the emissions system as gasoline (instead of vapors) expands, in the heat, into

vapor recovery system (usually a charcoal filter). It shouldn't harm the paint
Old 05-24-2001, 05:48 AM
Elder Member

Default LOL, you too. Feel like it should be 2 p.m. already. Yep, poured water all down it and totally

dried out area around fuel cap. What a morning.
Old 05-24-2001, 05:49 AM
Elder Member

Default So, good thing it is cold and damp and that I had to drive a little ways after, right? Guess

when I go down to start it after work will be the telling time!
Old 05-24-2001, 05:50 AM
Elder Member

That makes me feel better...Pinaccle...no Zaino...LOL
Old 05-24-2001, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I can't believe once will hurt the car..Heck..I'm the overfill King..never had a problem yet...

in 17 years driving. Then again, I usually drive a while after a fillup. Never had gas ruin the paint. May have affected the wax, but no damaged paint.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-24-2001, 05:56 AM
Elder Member

Thanking you!!
Old 05-24-2001, 05:58 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would say that you may have flooded the charcoal canister. But I *think*

this is monitored and you should get a check engine light if something in the fuel vapor recovery system has been broken.

Sorry about your morning Den. Sometimes G-d just likes to mess with everybody, even the good eggs. She's funny like that.

Where are the tech people!?

Quick Reply: Okay, one of those things-come-in-threes mornings. Does overflowing your gas tank hurt the