TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OnStar in an Audi

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OnStar in an Audi

Audi is going to put OnStar into the new A4. I like this combo with the built-in nav system...too bad they won't interact (I assume)<ul><li><a href="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010523/tc/autos_subaru_onstar_dc_1.html">http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010523/tc/autos_subaru_onstar_dc_1.html</a</li></ul>
Old 05-23-2001, 05:49 AM

Default mi no likey OnStar...

but maybe that's the paranoid hacker in me talking,...

i heard about an instance where OnStar goofed and all the cadillacs that had it had their trunks poop open simultaneously?!

i dunno,.. just the possibility for Bad Things to happen when they have that kind of access to your car seems to FAR outweigh any possible benefit.

i already have a cell phone and maps, i don't need them :P
...dave
Old 05-23-2001, 05:56 AM

Default There are things about OnStar I like, but most of it I don't appreciate

I like the 911 call when there's an emergency. That's nice. I like the unlock car for me please function. I like the call to have the system read me my email (I'm a geek ok?!).

I don't like the idea that a person will always be available via a cell phone call when I am lost. I travel to Maine too much where cell coverage isn't any good. Also, I like to see a map of where I'm going. I like having an idea how far until the turn and how sharp the turn will be.

I think OnStar will find a niche and get into 50-75% of the cars in the next 5 years. They will realize eventually that it won't solve all problems though.
Old 05-23-2001, 06:26 AM

Default I've got a friend who has Onstar on his Tahoe...they used it once to get

movie tickets...somthing in the system went bad and the Onstar rep on the "line" couldn't break the connection....we talked to that poor guy for 45 minutes while we made our way through traffic to the movies...he literally couldn't "hang-up". We though it was hilarious! Connection was broken when we shut the truck off.
Old 05-23-2001, 06:29 AM
BZ

Reported to be on the new TTs. Nav I would like... someone popping my door.. well, that is strange.
Old 05-23-2001, 06:47 AM

Default I have to agree with you(like usual)...

I almost bought a Yukon for my everyday car, but bought an Expedition instead. The end-cost justified that decision by thousands of dollars(all you SUV-Hate-Uhs, keep it to yourselves! ).
The On-Star is pretty cool. If the airbags go off, OnStar calls 911. And the unlock feature is great.
But it all depends on cellular coverage. Therein lies the problem...
Old 05-23-2001, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just hope we get the Northstar system too... :-D
Old 05-23-2001, 09:24 AM

Default On-Star stuff from autoextremist.com

From today's RANT...

"And while were on the subject of OnStar, which, let's not forget, is supposed to be one of those future pillars of "can't miss" profitability for GM - the dealers unloaded on that sham too. Dealer salespeople are having to wait an average of 30 minutes to program new customers into the OnStar system at the time of delivery, which has become a huge source of frustration to the salespeople and their customers. And attention all of you financial analysts out there, this "pillar of profitability" has become like the classic dog that won't hunt. After the first year of OnStar (which is free), only half of the customers are renewing and it declines from there. As we like to say here in the Motor City - not good."
Old 05-23-2001, 09:36 AM

Default I have to agree with autoextremist.com... I can't imagine paying for the service

The only way I'd consider OnStar as a positive feature of a car I'm going to purchase is if the lifetime cost is included in the purchase price of the car.

I'd be willing to pay $100 for lifetime coverage too though. ;-) I figure $100 is about right for the amount of times I'd actually use it.

Now, if you could get the OnStar staff to order pizza for me, then maybe they'd have a service!

While we're on this subject though, I can't imagine having to pay for emergency coverage. If the OnStar system is in the car, it should be able to dial a 911 call automatically regardless of whether someone is paying for the service or not. It seems (almost) unjustifiable to NOT allow the call to go through just because someone didn't pay for the service.
Old 05-23-2001, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm... sound anything like Audi Advantage?

Except we don't "see" the cost as a separate charge -- we pay for it upfront.

Mind you, I'm not unhappy with the program per se; it's the experience at the dealership that bugs me. (Knock on wood) my dealer has been very easy to work with thus far, but others have had many, many bad experiences. Part of that is the increase of Audi sales, which generated an increase in the maintenance workload, but the simple things (DV, Haldex servicing, CD whine, etc.) indicate a more fundamental problem in Audi's design and sales practices putting their dealer service operations in a no-win situation.

Quick Reply: OnStar in an Audi