TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Operation: Flies to Honey - Got my TT back!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operation: Flies to Honey - Got my TT back!

Let me start by saying that if anyone has complaints about their TT, then go drive a rented Camry for a week. You'll forget everything you complained about ).

1) Cluster buzz at low illumination - replaced cluster. New cluster has a super loud alarm when keys and lights are on - no forgetting those ) It also has a leather(ette) dust shield above the steering column where there was a rubber one before. Looks cool. Buzz is gone.

2) Radio whine - peeling back the layers.... installed the part as directed in the TSB and the really loud noise with the defroster on is gone. Now you can hear a more quiet alternator whine all the time. What was the deal with the Haldex part that fixed that? Can anybody reference?

3) Door rattling upon closing - Replaced striker plates with updated design - a bit better now.

4) Shocks........Can't replicate - could be tires. They don't have a tester and the tires are admittedly shot (23K on P6000's). Have to give the benefit of the doubt on this one and see how it goes after I replace the tires. We talked about upgrades, more on that in a minute.

5) 20K including Haldex service - performed. Oil done right - .2 left in the bottle.

This service was a Barrier Audi in Bellevue, WA. The service managers - Marci and Tim are top notch and have been very helpful and accomodating. I was updated on time - I got a free loaner (this was VERY appreciated since this is my daily driver), and everything was either fixed or explained to my satisfaction. For anyone in the Seattle area wondering about Barrier quality I would say that Tim and Marci make a huge difference in the service experience and won my business.

During the shock discussion, I told them that I wanted to upgrade to Bilstien HDs but was worried about them denying me warranty service. They were very up front and reasonable about this. The only thing they would not service under warranty is something directly affected by the upgrade. No out of hand denials just because of the upgrade.

So as far as the Flies to Honey part goes, I will say that while I don't think that these folks needed beer and Spiderman antenna ***** to give me good service, they do respond to respect and kindness.
I've been in the technical support business for 16 years and I'll say that it's much more rewarding to do something extra for the nice customer than it is for the hard-a$$es.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Very true! I'll do your oil change for Micros and a Spiderman antenna ball!!
Old 05-21-2002, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3) Door rattling upon closing - Replaced striker plates with updated design - Part No. Pls?

Does your service invoice state the Audi P/N for these?
Old 05-21-2002, 10:45 AM
Wiz
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Operation: Flies to Honey - Got my TT back!

Has anyone ever experienced the whistling noise out of the air blowers (or the AC unit itself) when the car goes over 100mph or when the wind is blowing opposite to where you're going? Doesn't happen all the time but still annoys the crap out of me when happens. The only thing what helps getting rid of it is to turn the air completely off and then back on.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually, YOU are one of the lucky ones.....

There's a Carl's Jr. in Vancouver. Only $.99!
Old 05-21-2002, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hold on, I'll go get it.
Old 05-21-2002, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hmmm, no part number. Part numbers for everything else...
Old 05-21-2002, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oops, forgot two.....

1) Parcel shelf rattling - replaced shelf.

2) rattle/buzz under hood - can't replicate - they think it's the secondary air injector.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:20 AM

Default david -- the haldex control unit needs to be changed out to help with the am radio whine...

according to the tsb.

my car's in for it's 40k service now and that is being changed for me.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks! What is the TSB number? Do you know?

Quick Reply: Operation: Flies to Honey - Got my TT back!