TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Opinions on chips for 180FWD TTR

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2001, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on chips for 180FWD TTR

I just picked up a green 2001 TTR with 10K, and while it is so much more capable than my last pleasure car ('89 Taurus SHO), it is nowhere near as fast. I am concerned about installation and drivability issues (idle, starting, blah, blah)as well as not screwing with my warranty.

I am sure this topic has been covered and recovered, but indulge me please. Your personal experience with a particular chip would be a big help. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2001, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well. Three words --> A. P. R. I've had mine since April and wow, what a difference....BUT.....

I don't want to disrespect any of the other tuners though -- MTM, ABT, and GIAC are all outstanding, and I'm sure others here can vouch for that statement. I'll try to relate my experieces with APR thus far to your specific items:
<b>Installation</b> -- I cannot speak to your concerns on installation, as I had APR themselves do the install at the Fallingwater event. I feel this is the way to go if you know they will be at an event you're going to and if you can wait. They'll probably have some event deal too -- like free EMCS and Install. Took 'em about 2 minutes to pop out the ECU, 15 to solder the chip and another 2 to pop it back in....in the dark, no flashlight, no sh*t. Of course, I'm sure they've done so many that it is second nature by now. Anyhow, as I stood there beer-in-hand watching, I thought 'that doesn't look too hard.' :-)
<b>Drivability Issues</b> -- I don't understand. There aren't any that I'm aware of. Starts the same, idles the same, accelerates <b> alot </b> quicker.....smoother....better.
<b>Warranty</b> --This is quite the issue. Many folks are so concerned about their warranty, they've bought a spare EC to pop in the car prior to going to the dealer just in case of any issues arise. I opted to keep a few hundred dollars in my pocket and not buy a spare. If the chip causes damage to my engine and it is certain that the chip caused it, why then I'll have to bite the bullet -- I'm aware of the risks (knock on wood). I'm willing to gamble that the APR product is sound. You simply must be comfortable with your choice.

Now, all that said, check out the APR website linked below -- read all about the chip, the features and the prices. I don't think you can go wrong with this chip.<ul><li><a href="http://www.goapr.com">APR</a></li></ul>
Old 06-23-2001, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you don't mind me asking, how much approx did u pay for that car?

I just want to see how much a 180 TTR is selling for right now. Thank You.
Old 06-24-2001, 02:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto Greg's comments...APR makes a fine product.