TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Opinions on V6....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on V6....

Hi, I am a new poster, so if this topic has been covered forgive me.

I am looking for a 'fun' car, the challenge is to find one that I can drive all year long (New England winters), that has automatic mode (wife doesn't drive stick), has enough space to fit a couple of overnight bags or two sets of golf clubs in it, and not ride like a sprint car, i.e., a secure, but not harsh ride (can take reliatively long drives in (3 hrs) without needing back surgury). Oh, and my preference is the coupe.

I have driven a few TTs and they felt pretty good. I am wondering how the V6 will compare in ride and power curve.

Thanks in advance.
Allen
Old 11-20-2003, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You are in luck then!

The 3.2 TT Coupé (or V6, as some call it) may fit you very well, considering that it's a TT (duh!) seriously though, since you seem to like their shape & ride.. The 3.2 TT also apparently doesn't ride any harsher than the 1.8T's.

The V6 is indeed very smooth, and so are the shifts due to the DSG gearbox. You don't get the power interruption when changing gears, like you would on a manual or in the BMW M3 with the SMG gearbox. In the same time, the shifts are really quick and you will have fun changing gears in Manual mode (using the shift paddles behind the steering wheel).

The rear seats fold down, so you will find more than enough room for golf bags, suitcases, etc. Don't expect to seat any adults in the back however.. I think the TT is, by definition, a 2-person car (or, in the coupé, 2 and 1/2 if you have a small child).

You should definitely go test-drive one!! ;-)
-Marc
Old 11-20-2003, 11:22 AM

Need to drive one. I loved it, even though I'm pro manual trans. I think the 3.2 is what u'r lking 4
Old 11-20-2003, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Compare? The 3.2 V6 almost doesn't compare...

Go to a local dealer and test-drive the new 3.2 coupe. The power delivery is (expectedly) much more linear, and the feel is therefore much different from the 1.8T versions. The 3.2's suspension is a bit stiffer than the other versions, so that is something you'll need to judge personally. On the "fun" side, well, I think the TT generally rocks. Did you know about the trick new "DSG" paddle-shift transmission?

The TT can definitely be a year-round car, too (I have a Roadster in rainy Seattle), just remember that the car comes with summer tires that will be terrible in the snow.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Opinions on V6....

All I know is several owners of highly modified 225tt's traded for the 3.2. That says a lot about the 3.2. TTIGG in particular had a very nicely prepared 225tt and traded it on the dime for a 3.2 TT. Go for the V6.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:45 AM

Default Re: You are in luck then!

Wow, thanks for the quick responses.....impressive.

Yes, Actually, I did try to find one to drive last weekend, but after calling a few local dealers the consensus was that no one had any. Moreover, none had any that were not already purchased. I am hoping this is just because its new.....

Thanks again.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not just linear but also very immediate.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You're very welcome ;-)

Where are you located?

There has definitely been a "shortage" of 3.2 TT's in SOME areas, due to a recent hold that was put on some ports in the US where the cars come into. It was due to an issue that was believed to affect some gearboxes, but apparently this has been resolved and the cars are starting to be released again from port.

In the West Coast for example, dealers have not received any 3.2's for at least a month (I think). In some other areas though it appears that some dealers have 3 or 4 of them, mostly unsold..

Try the "Search" function and you may find the answer ;-)
-Marc
Old 11-20-2003, 12:14 PM

3.2 In-line 6....not V6. :-)
Old 11-20-2003, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

not quite. it's a 3.2 liter narrow angle V6.

Quick Reply: Opinions on V6....