TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

OT Rant

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT Rant

I have an A1 VW Rabbit GTI that i have had since I was in college, and I'm currently restoring. The last thing I was going to do with it was replace the whole exhaust system. I removed the muffler and cat, but can't get the old header off because the bolts are frozen. So until I can save up a little extra cash to take it somewhere and get it done, it is sitting in my driveway. also, since it isn't running I couldn't take it for an emissions test so the state expired my plate, but this is not the issue. Now this car is not take apart, rusting or in physical disrepair. It is in very good shape body wise. To the undiscerning eye there is nothing wrong with it. But because of some city law I've never heard of the city in which I live in is continually threatening to tow it. (I keep moving it into my garage when I get a notice, which takes my TTs space, and I hate to leave her outside). Does anyone else have this problem where they live. My problem with it is that at night kids always mess with things in my yard (lanscape lights, ornaments, etc.) and when I complain the police never catch anybody, but soon as I move the car back in the driveway the next morning there is a big flourescent warning sticker on it. I just don't get the logic. The bottom line is the car is not an eyesore, it is off the street and it is on MY property.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They threaten to tow it even though it's in your driveway?

I could see if it's on the street, but WTF? What is their reason for wanting to tow it? The expired plate? I guess you could try backing it up into your driveway so the plate is not visible from the street and remove the front plate if there is one. You could also try taking off the plate...That way they don't think you are trying to drive it with expired plates. As I understand it, if you have a plate on a car, it has to be insured even if you don't drive it. Maybe where you live, you have to keep the plate registered.

Either way, it's dumb.
Old 01-09-2002, 07:40 AM

Default not surprised... if it's a nice neighborhood, they won't let you have an old car on display.

Where exactly are you? City of Chicago or suburbs?
Old 01-09-2002, 07:47 AM

Default Yep, that old Ferrari down the street . . .

is an eye sore! I'm sure glad he parks the pristine AC roadster and the immaculate TC inside!

Here in Tupperware Heights, we prefer Ford Exretions or Minivans . . . .
Old 01-09-2002, 08:09 AM

Suburbs, Waukegan
Old 01-09-2002, 09:03 AM

Default A suggestion...

No matter which way you look at this, it sucks and I can't believe any city would have a law that permits the towing of a vehicle from one's private property.

My suggestion is to cover your car w/ a locked car cover.

This will protect your car from the elements and to the casual observer, they will not be able to tell if the car underneath is tagged or not. Of course make sure the car cover covers the tag area of the bumper.

I have been keeping my sister in-law's untagged SUV in the driveway and along the curb right outside my house for the past 6 months and I have not had any problems from the local police.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As someone who works for a city government - here's my suggestion

Call and ask for a copy of the ordinance which they are issuing the citations under. I'm sure there are plenty of "holes" in it that you can exploit as it's usually left up to interpretation.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:34 AM

Default Thanks, just before I read you post...

My wife and I had decided to do this. We will hide the car in my backyeard for a couple of weeks (My house backs up to a secluded pond, no way it can be seen from the street), then move it back and put it under a locked cover.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:09 AM
TTP
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: OT Yep.. Fairfax kept threatening to tow my old Civic because I kept it parked on the street..

in front of my parent's house for a long time. All the stickers are up to date. I just leave it there for my parents to use as an emergency backup. The car works just fine. Just don't have the room to stow it. My dad has to change sides of the street every few days to make it look like it's in use.

Tony