TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Paging Jeremiah H.......(edited)...>>

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paging Jeremiah H.......(edited)...>>

Your email wreaks havoc with my computer. I have a hard time responding when it seizes up my system. Sorry, forget your screen name but my response to your logs:

Sorry....Didn't have a chance to look at them until today. You did these on a Dyno
right? My original impressions still hold. Whenever the manifold temp gets
over 50 degrees, boost drops and timing is pulled. That's the performance
fall-off you're feeling. Solution is an FMIC to keep those manifold temps
cool all the time and in the 40-48 degree range. More boost = more heat.
Personally, I would set it at a midrange setting and let the car adapt.
Switching back and forth as you are does not let the ECU set up the correct
fuel maps and will not allow the car to develop max power for that setting.
Nothing is really "wrong" here....

Your best boost numbers of 1.5 bar occur at 4700 rpms with the manifold at a nice cool 34 degrees according to agr.Bst Ign 3 log.. In the others the manifold temp is elevated and boost numbers are lower no matter what the setting..

Steve

BTW, Fix your email address/header. Earthlink balks at the syntax....:-)
Old 08-04-2005, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I see it now....

So what happened is that it was trying the high boost request, the CF was too great the first time, so it doesn't even try again the next time, right? This is what you refer to as adaptation?

I thought it would try everytime and and you would see the boost request, then it would back off.

Am i getting it now? So when I switch programs, does it reset the adaptation or do I have to do that as well for it to attempt max boost again?

So going back to being on the dyno, I assume the CF was too great so it never tried the high boost again regardless of program chosen. Without TBA how would the CPU attempt higher boost again?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There you go... and that log was on the drive home not the dyno.

Only the ones numbered 1, 2 and 3 where the dyno ones.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Basically...>

I looked again and threw in an edit above. Temp trumps boost everyday. It's just a protective measure. Adaptation takes place over time automatically. It is the computer and the O2 sensors adjusting the fuel delivery and injection timing to optimize existing condidtions.. You need to put a few miles on the car between changes for it to be optimized fully.

My advice as above is to set it, forget it, and give the car time to make decisions and optimize itself.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Immmm....I think I said that originally...(no problem)

Dyno's suck for measuring this stuff...Especially multiple pulls. Heat is your enemy...
Old 08-04-2005, 02:20 PM

Default reset adaptation by doing a TBA

From the Revo SPS3 tuning guide:

"One of the common problems that can occur when setting up a car with an SPS3 is
setting optimistic levels if you run at a timing level too high for the given conditions
then you start to rely on the knock sensors and the ECU pulling back to safe levels.
This is often the case when using an SPS3 without monitoring the effects of different
settings.

If the ECU pulls back due to over optimistic settings then the car won't run at its
optimum level, this being the case altering the settings with the SPS3 will have much
less effect as the adaptation values will all be at low levels. Using VAG COM you can
reset the adaptation values by doing a throttle body alignment (TBA)."
Old 08-04-2005, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Not really.....>

ECU fuel adaptation cannot be set with a VAG or anything else. The system has to "learn" from the sensors. Throttle body adaptation is different and not what I'm talking about.....

Either drive to re-learn, or pull the power to the ECU at the battery or ECU plug. Stories of pulling fuses or clearing codes does not re-set the fuel tables...At least not on my car....I've checked.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You got it. Now that I think of it...that what i did right off the dyno then the SPS3 settings.

Boost was back.

I know what steve is saying as well, but believe that it applies more to the fine tuning of the AF ratios as opposed to resetting the CF for boost and timing.

Just my observations...