TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

performance test TTQ (driver a bit rusty)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-1999, 03:54 AM
anonyMASS

Default performance test TTQ (driver a bit rusty)

Having almost 500 miles under my belt, I decided to test this car's handling capacity. Took an on-ramp (kind of corkscrew)under full acceleration. Passenger clocked me "in" at 72mph, "out" at 58mph. There was no sound from the tires and no, the back end did not swing around. I have worked in the auto biz and driven many cars. The TT brought a smile to my face. My dayplanner did not even slide off the dashboard! Passenger commented that she could hardly feel any G's. (no she did not end up in my lap). I intend to take a performance driving class to brush up my skills. Regarding the rear-end - sure, if duiring that turn I had to jerk the wheel inward, I may have spun out, but then that's what I would expect to happen. Comments?
Old 12-18-1999, 06:23 AM
Benson

Default Re: performance test TTQ (driver a bit rusty)

Well, my only comment is that your description makes little sense to me. If you're going through a turn quickly then you have to experience lateral g's. FWD, Quattro or RWD makes no difference. So, when you say that your dayplanner didn't slide off the dash and your passenger felt no g's then the immediate conclusion is that you weren't driving "fast" with respect to the turn's radius of curvature. Thus I don't see what the point of the note is. Not trying to flame - just an observation.
Benson
Old 12-18-1999, 07:59 AM
PeTTer K

Default Re: performance test TTQ (driver a bit rusty)

Usually when I hit a corner (onramp) hard, my "out" speed is higher since I use the engine to pull me through the corner once I hit the apex. I did a similar test as yours, coming out of a 3/4 hairpin at around 75 and accelerating into 3rd gear, using the knee brace to hold in my seat. My passenger's eyes were pushed so much sideways from the g's that he lost focus (seriously!).

You're absolutely right - no tire squeel or any sign of the rear end breaking lose. If I had a daytimer on the dash, I probably would have been knocked unconscious by it. Suggest that you keep mobile objects OFF the dash next time .