TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Plan to buy a 2001 TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plan to buy a 2001 TT

Hi i am planning to buy a TT but i am really new to car do you guys think buying a 2001 180hp tt with 56000 miles is a good deal? Thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Awesome User

Default You'll need to change the timing belt by 60k-65k miles.

There are some issues: coil packs are oddly unreliable if you get unlucky, and clusters are a class-action problem right now.

That said, I have a 2000 180 QC (yours is front track only, no quattro). It now has 115K miles, and I wouldn't trade it for an S2000 or Porsche Boxster. I would consider a Cayman, so it's that kind of car to me.

The 180 has some developmental limitations imposed by the single FMIC. DOn't expect huge power gains unless you tranplant a 225 package into it.

I'd look for a later quattro 225 (I know of one in HotLanta that already has mods, and about the same miles). More potential, and definitely more fun!

Welcome to the asylum!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How >

Do you know the one he's planning to buy is FWD? I can't tell from his post.

And with all due respect, have you ever driven an equally modded FWD to compare, or are you just generalizing because that's the party line? I suggest you do so, if you haven't (and with all the porsche stuff on the board lately, let me use that as an analogy - from the 356's to most every version from there to here - they're all fun to drive, and challenging - and/or unforgiving - in their own way).

The quattro has a significant weight burden that made the introduction of the 225 more or less essential to the car's being able to compete in the marketplace - consensus was that the 180*Q* was underpowered, so to that end I agree with you.

In fact the 225 has 'developmental limitations' as well - look, for instance, at how long it took even for APR to come out with their 225 kit; that said, it's a stronger *block* to begin with - which I think is what you mean - but it seems that most here do the usual bolt-ons, and those items don't take the engine to that limit. Then of course there's the generic big-turbo kit - where I cannot disagree with you in principle with respect to the strength of the platform - but the reality is the time delay to install seems prohibitive for all but the rare owner and the sacrifice in driveability has been commented on by most of those same owners; in fact, from my admittedly anecdotal observations, it seems that most who have gone that direction have sold the car shortly after - or at least mentioned their desire to do so.

Telling him not expect huge power gains unless he tranplants a 225 package into it is just plain misleading - nobody gets huge power gains unless they go big turbo; up to that point the *relative gains* are pretty much the same - with the exception of the weight burden of the quattro, ergo an *apparent* benefit of the 225Q over the 180Q in terms of total power - but given the availability, ease of install, and proven reliability of bolt-on turbo kits at reasonable prices for the 180Q/FWD, I can't see how you can justify that statement.

Finally, he might not live in a climate where it's essential to have a quattro - you don't.

So I guess - though most of your points are correct with respect to maintenance - I'd ask what he wants, what his skill level is, and maybe what his budget is (and even whether he's looking at a roadster or a coupe), before telling him what is and isn't the right way to go.

And with all that said, my advice might still be to look for a modded 225QC, because that *might* be the best value for someone starting out.

;-)
Old 03-30-2008, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

so serious in the morning... sunday morning no less ... have you swap your coils and valve cover?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Arrgh - you're right; it's raining and I got woken up early, so I'm cranky. :-( >

and I'm stressing over a neighbor... (and Ted, I take it all back! ;-)
Old 03-30-2008, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default coils yes, V/C no >

be two weeks or so on that, depending. Those puppies are expensive new - nearly 200. Can I sell you a used one you can get done in red to match that manifold?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ha ha ha ...HA!!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

group hug ... and you sir, just you wait, i'll get you back ;&gt
Old 03-30-2008, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yup! :-)