TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Poll: If you had it to do over again, would you order the Bose or not...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-1999, 05:30 AM
JusTTin

Default Have standard package and well....

I'm not happy with it. I'm not big into music, but even I notice the limitations. If I had it to do over I would get the lint out of my wallet and upgrade.
Old 12-10-1999, 05:37 AM
me

who are u trying to impress the girls! (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 05:44 AM
Stefan Lundkvist

Default Done it over, and... (more)

I choose to not get the BOSE-system for my 2 weeks old 225Q. I had the system in my 180, and while not being entirely displeased with the sound from it - it is still not what you expect for the money you put into it. Now I have a Blaupunkt main unit and am still contemplating what speakers and amplifiers I will put into the car. I expect to find at least the sound quality (probably a lot better) that the BOSE gave me for less than half the price. So - the BOSE isn't the kind of crap that some people say, but for that kind of money, you can do a LOT better.
Old 12-10-1999, 05:58 AM
Joe

HEY--Can you post more information about this for us? The dealer needs to turn the feature on/off? (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 06:00 AM
Joe

Default I agree, but I blame the amp for the mediocre sound, not the speakers (more)

I have experienced Bose systems that truly are awesome. This one, alas, is not one of them.

The Bose system is the only feature of this car that deserves a recall.
Old 12-10-1999, 06:07 AM
Jenner

Default Replacing just the speakers won't work why because(more)

because the Bose speakers are a funky load like 1ohm or something funny like that.(not sure of the exact ohm's) If you put a 3 or 4 ohm MB Quart in there, you'll half or quater the power of the Bose amp and the nice MBQ's will be totally underpowered.

Just my 2 cents...trying to help out.

-Jenner
'00 180QX TT Garrett
Old 12-10-1999, 06:30 AM
PaTT

Default I don't dislike the Bose sound, but I wouldn't order it again...

And some of you know that I didn't order it in the first place!

But now that I have it, I'm happy with the sound. Neil Young sounds terrible, but the Cure sound fine.

I still don't think it's worth $1200 though. I'm sure I could have gotten something a lot better for that kind of money.
Old 12-10-1999, 06:31 AM
joffrey

Default I would just for the total resale value and the resaleability of the car.

Think of this: If there were two TT's for sale and one had the Bose and the other did not which one would be more likely to sell first? That's one of the reasons I used to always get air conditioning in all my cars before it started to become more of a standard feature (I live in the NW where AC isn't needed much). It is much, much easier to sell a car that is loaded. Otherwise, I am dissappointed greatly by the Bose system and feel it to be a rip off. However, I have never been satisfied by any factory system, except maybe the Lexus Nakamichi or some Bose systems in other cars (like maybe the A6? I haven't spent a lot of time listening to either but they sound pretty good from all the demos I have done in them). In any event, what I usually do is remove the factory system, being careful to leave all the wiring and mechanical parts intact or easily reinstalled. This way I can install my own system and remove it, replacing with the factory, when selling the car. I have an Alpine/MB Quart/Boston Acoustics system that has been in 3 previous cars.

Old 12-10-1999, 06:42 AM
Jim Torongo

Default Yes although they charge too much for it. I like Bose 901 speekers which labels me a non- MORE

Audiophile. I am OK with that. I have a good freind who has $50,000+ in a system Krell amps $15,000 speaker wire ETC. I like the sound of my NAD system with 901s better. I was so into audio in collage (1970) that I really lost sight of the music, I have since correctd this imbalance. I know even you serious audiophiles can't agree on which speaker is best; some of the 'flatest' 30 to 20,000 speakers I've heard did not sound good at all to my ear. Audio equipment/hardware is alot of fun to study, I'm just happy to have a reliable system (most of my prior system of which there where many, were not)that sounds good to me. No needs to tell me I'm clueless on the state of the art because I know that. JIM
Old 12-10-1999, 06:43 AM
joffrey

Default Possible design flaw discovered in the Bose!

At first I thought it was just an anomaly or perhaps my imagination but I have discovered something about the Bose system (may not be the Bose system itself but the head unit) that I believe may be a design flaw, unless it is a problem with my system. In any event, normally when playing the CD player the sound is good. Actually excellent as far as the capability of this particular Bose system. However, you all know that the loudness level of all CD's is not created equal. Some CD's are quite a bit louder than others. What I have found is that CD's with very loud output levels sound distorted while "most" other CD's sound great. These loud CD's sound fine on any other CD players. This includes all five I have at home. But, it appears these loudness levels are overloading either the input circuitry in the head unit or the output circuitry coming from the CD player. This distortion is heard at any volume level setting so no, I am not turning up the volume so loud that the amps are clipping.

There may be a fix for this (level adjustments on the CD changer or head unit) but has anyone else heard this?

-Hmm

Quick Reply: Poll: If you had it to do over again, would you order the Bose or not...