TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Poll: If you had it to do over again, would you order the Bose or not...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-1999, 06:48 AM
joffrey

I had the dealer turn my fader off but I found NO difference in the sound quality. (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 06:50 AM
joffrey

There's also equalization built into the amp for the speakers. Change spkrs, need to change amp. (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 09:59 AM
Andy W

Default Concert..

I must admit after getting use to the Concert setup (& CD option), I'm not too pleased with the quality. To me, it sounds like there's too much middle, and if you turn it up it gets worse. Low volume is the answer.

My bog standard Sony head and 10 CD unit in my 80 Coupe'(standard speakers) was far better in quality, much more depth.

So can anyone list the best head units, speakers and amps to buy for the TT. Remember ease of fitment is the priority (after sound quality of course).

Old 12-10-1999, 10:02 AM
Andy W

What was involved in fitting your Blaupunkt... (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 10:15 AM
JamesTT

Default You might be right - this is a common problem in hi-fi...

I don't have the BOSE unit, but in non-car hi-fi there can be problems where high CD player output overloads the input section of the preamplifier; this kind of problem would be most apparent on CDs with high average levels. Aftermarket cables are available (in the UK, from companies such as Russ Andrews Accessories) which contain in-line attenuators to bring the level down. But I'm not aware of any such tweak for the in-car BOSE problem is, so the only solution may be throwing the nasty stuff away

Old 12-10-1999, 11:07 AM
mne

the "nasty stuff" in this cae meaning the Bose or the CD's? (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 11:11 AM
mne

But I gotta give to Bose on the "Wave" CD/clock radio. Best sounding alarm clock I have EVER owned. (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 11:18 AM
D-TTrain

Is the Amp built into the head unit? Or can it easily be swapped out too? (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 12:04 PM
Jenner

Yeah but your talking about an Alarm clock! (nt)
Old 12-10-1999, 01:34 PM
JamesTT

Default I meant the BOSE (more)

There's almost certainly nothing wrong with most of joffrey's CDs - although it's true there are plenty of pop CDs that just sound plain terrible due to sloppy digital mastering. I was just being rude about the aural horror that is BOSE, I'm afraid. In fact, I think 'in-car hi-fi' is a bit of a joke... I'm not sure much can be achieved with 12 Volts and I am very much biased towards the living room variety (preferably with amps and speakers sized and weighing about the same as a TT!)

Who needs in-car hifi anyway? When driving in my TT, I switch off the radio, and listen to the front seat passenger telling me how cool my car is instead!

Quick Reply: Poll: If you had it to do over again, would you order the Bose or not...