TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Posts were deleted on purpose....next? maybe blocking people's access...you guys want that? (READ)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-1999, 07:11 AM
Royce Howland

Default Re: Posts were deleted on purpose...

I would echo mne's comment that shutting down the forum is not a likely way to improve the situation. Speaking as someone who has been involved in running and using online discussion forums since the late 70's, I can state with certainty that allowing a small minority of flamers and spammers to control the experience of the majority of reasonable, responsible users is the fastest way to ensure the destruction of a forum.

If it isn't feasible or philosophically acceptable to implement user-specific blocks in the forum software (which probably could be overcome in any case by a persistent flamer), then everyone should follow the common-sense approach of simply ignoring posts that are objectionable. Or choose to withdraw on an individual basis if the fun isn't there any longer. Obviously the forum moderators are free to pull the plug if they ever feel the need to do so, but I would hope a few losers would never be able to degrade the situation so far that it comes to that, if the rest of us keep our heads.
Old 12-07-1999, 08:01 AM
Ron Stein

Brad's name is right there at the end of the post if you don't like his comments don't read them. (nt)
Old 12-07-1999, 08:02 AM
Anon

Use of 'moron' is equally inflammatory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (nt)
Old 12-07-1999, 08:41 AM
Ron Van Stone

Default Re: Your inflammatory comments are the kind which spark arguments and hard feelings...

Brad,
I have been following you post on the transmission
issue . I do appreciate your posting , since I have placed an order for an TT due to arrive in March. The problem has me a little concern on whether I show still pursue my purchase. Is there anyway the VIN numbers could be gather to see if the TTs' experiencing this problem where built in a certain time period ?
I have found this board very informative and thank you for your honesty !

Ron
Old 12-07-1999, 09:08 AM
TimoThy

Default include IP addresses. Speedtale.com had same problem..

so they put IP addresses beside the names of the people that posts. It didnt END the problem but lessened the amount of spamming and flaming!
Old 12-07-1999, 09:25 AM
mne

Default We did VIN's when we did the poll. They're all over the map... more

Additionally the problem, perceived or real, is not because of anything Brad has said but rather in spite of it. If he left today you're still gonna suffer a one in three liklihood of getting one that is overly notchy or grinds ostensibly from time to time. Dems duh facts. No thanks to Brad.
Old 12-07-1999, 09:38 AM
Brad Willis

Default Re: We did VIN's when we did the poll. They're all over the map... more

Mance is correct. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably try to wait for the 225Q. My rationale is as follows:

1. I have no confidence in the FWD transmission, and believe that many of them are defective.

2. I have confidence in the durability of the Quattro transmission, but the car felt underpowered to me.

The 225Q should resolve both of these issues.
Old 12-07-1999, 09:50 AM
Jim Torongo

1 in 3 odds is way too high- our poll was not a good sample. JIM (nt)
Old 12-07-1999, 09:55 AM
mne

not scientific but we as forum participants DO represent a credible cross-section of ownership (nt)
Old 12-07-1999, 10:14 AM
Brad Willis

Default Jim, I would be suprised if at least 1 in 3 didn't experience this problem...

Remember that this poll was taken when the only TTs on the road were FWD. Now, the bulk of TTs arriving at dealerships seem to be Quattros. So if you did a poll now, you'd have a ton of Quattro owners stating that their transmissions are just fine. So the numbers would appear lower.

Another issue is that the grind occurs most frequently when the weather is very warm/hot, and the driver has just driven the TT for some time. I feel that the cooler weather in most parts of the U.S.A. is masking the problem. Once the weather heats up, I believe that we will hear a greater number of complaints. Remember, that I am in San Diego, where it sometimes reaches 80 degrees and above in the winter.

Quick Reply: Posts were deleted on purpose....next? maybe blocking people's access...you guys want that? (READ)