TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Potential 2001 TT purchase - need input

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential 2001 TT purchase - need input

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2001 Audi TT quattro 6 speed coupe in great condition. I believe its 225hp because of the 6 speed. It's silver with black leather. The vehicle also has navigation. It has the check engine light on and the owner claims its the charcoal evaporator canister. He said its a $600 - 800 fix. Is that correct? What about the bypass mod? It has 99k miles. The owner said the previous owner had the car stop at about 70k miles and had a bill of $3500 to fix bent valves, so im assuming it was a timing belt issue and was probably replaced. He does not have paperwork on the incident. I asked the current owner if he uses full synthetic oil, he said no. With 99k miles am i at risk with the sludge problem. The motor ran great and sound very good. What are thoughts on this vehicle? He is asking $6800. Good price?

Thanks in advance
Dom
Old 08-12-2011, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by domvr6
I have the opportunity to purchase a 2001 Audi TT quattro 6 speed coupe in great condition. I believe its 225hp because of the 6 speed. It's silver with black leather. The vehicle also has navigation. It has the check engine light on and the owner claims its the charcoal evaporator canister. He said its a $600 - 800 fix. Is that correct? What about the bypass mod? It has 99k miles. The owner said the previous owner had the car stop at about 70k miles and had a bill of $3500 to fix bent valves, so im assuming it was a timing belt issue and was probably replaced. He does not have paperwork on the incident. I asked the current owner if he uses full synthetic oil, he said no. With 99k miles am i at risk with the sludge problem. The motor ran great and sound very good. What are thoughts on this vehicle? He is asking $6800. Good price?

Thanks in advance
Dom
I have never heard of a evaporator canister problem, and I don't know of a bypass mod.

Read the code yourself. Then post it here or look it up.

The history with the belt and the oil is not good,it shows owners who were cheap. The TT has a larger oil pan so doesn't really suffer from sludge, however I wouldn't run a turbo car on non-synthetic oil.

The price is reasonable. Check cluster and suspension.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have same model with 197k miles all mine. My CEL around 100k was due to cracks in the PCV valve system and another was the Mass Air Flow Meter. I replaced failed alternator around that mileage also. Oil fouling spark plugs was cured by replacing cam cover gasket. I did replacement blow by valve to boost turbo. I broke fitting on Carbon canister changing timing belt and dont know if it caused Engine light fault code because it was already on. I have graduated to replacing my own timing belt and rack and pinion steering, otherwise I would have had some big repair bills. It's a great vehicle but if you can't do repairs and maintenance yourself, you might look for lower miles in a younger vehicle at a higher initial price.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

MosTT has good advice.

I bought a new Quattro Coupe in 2006, it is a garage queen (21,987 miles)
I plan on doing some mods, other than the Neuspeed rear sway that really makes a difference. Look for a low mile older guy owned TT, low mile one and you will be much better off.

Eric
Old 08-20-2011, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i was actually going to get a but ended up just getting an a4 cause my wifey wanted 4 doors.