TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Purchase questions - may purchase a 2000 TT quattro 5sp, low boost...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase questions - may purchase a 2000 TT quattro 5sp, low boost...

Hi all - I haven't posted on the TT forum before, but have been around a long time on the C5 and other boards, and owned a number of Audis beginning 15 years ago with my first 5ktq...

So, being a glutton for punishment, I'm looking at purchasing an '00 TTq 180 5sp w/ 73k miles. According to the owner, the car currently has a problem developing full boost past 3/4 throttle. No blue smoke on startup.

In the past year or so the following has been done:

Timing belt broke: rebuilt top end + new T-belt
New clutch
New BOSE Radio (shorted out after battery replacement?)
New alternator
New tires (type unknown)
New brakes

How does this sound, what should I look for re potential problems, source of low boost? (bp valve, vac leak?)

Can you access the turbo easily in this car to check for play in the spindle by wiggling it with your hand (used to be able to do this on the older Audis)?

I basically have no knowledge of the 1.8T motor or the TT overall re troubleshooting, so thanks in advance for any insight...

Old 11-15-2005, 10:02 AM

Yikes. Sounds like a bad car or a poorly cared for car. I'd pass. How much??
Old 11-15-2005, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oh wow, where to start...

It's good the t-belt was done, too bad it took the motor with it. That shouldn't affect future performance though. as far as the boost issue, it could be a number of things. Vacuum lines, bad hoses, bad hoses, or vacuum lines Seriously, there are a handful of common lines and hoses that dry and crack, just went through a bunch this summer on my 00. The bypass valve could also be the culprit, as could the Mass Airflow Sensor, both relatively inexpensive parts and easy to replace. The turbo shaft is not that simple to check (however, if you are thinking of buying, not out of the question), although at the low boost these cars run, it's pretty bullet proof on a stock car. I'm sure you know there's a ton of things you can do to make it faster/more fun, chips, turbo kits, suspension, etc.

The trouble spots to be aware of:
Instrument clusters
Fuel sending units
t-belt every 60k
probably a couple other things...

not saying they will happen, just have happened to enough of us to become a bother. For the record, I have an 00 that just went out of assured warranty status. I love it. I have had all the things i listed above happen, all under warranty, thankfully. I doubt I'll ever sell the car, at some point it'll become more of a track/weekend toy than the daily driver it is now. I just turned 105,000 miles and it's still strong, although pretty far from stock ;-)

good luck!

what price are they asking?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulling the codes with a VAG-COM or the like will get you started but...

the 180hp cars, K03 "non-sport" (which is found on the ATC engine cars all of 00 and part of 01) especially, run out of breath low in the rev band and can definitely feel as though boost is falling off. Did you confirm with a gauge or just using the butt-meter?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default These are all good possiblitities, but how about...

intake hose collapse? A known issue, at WOT the intake hose buckles, thereby suffocating the engine. The solution is a Samco intake hose.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought that was more a 225 issue than 180?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:21 AM

Default lowish book price

asking $13k, might negotiate. For the right price, it's interesting in that it's had a substantial amount of replacement of wear items, flip side being 'why'...
Old 11-15-2005, 10:25 AM

Recalls? Fuel senders recalled at some point? Other recalls?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Time for me to chime in. Just like OldSchool AG and Artt said...>>

this engine is pretty bullet proof.

As far as the boost, the little K03 that comes with the ATC (2000-2001) engine in stock mode develops about 11 lbs of boost from 2,800-4,500 RPMs. I'm repeating a couple things here. Check hoses and the MAF.

A quick test for the MAF is to disconect it make a run. If the car feels better, chances are the MAF is bad.

A VAG-COM will tell you a lot about the car. Find someone that has one and have them look at it. (also, a good dealer could do this too).

My 2000 CQ has 75K and runs very strong.

Once you get the boost problem solved, there are several things you can do to give it an extra kick - such as a chip, ModShack stage III, etc.

Hope this helps...
Old 11-15-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Just the owner's report - car is in FL, I'm in CA....

Looking to purchase something back in the southeast, visit family and friends and maybe head through CO for some skiing on the way home to San Diego.

So I'm buying more or less sight unseen...

Quick Reply: Purchase questions - may purchase a 2000 TT quattro 5sp, low boost...