TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Question about APR chipping (security lockout)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about APR chipping (security lockout)

I'm taking the car to get chipped and the "sales guy" is telling me ALL the stuff I "need". I would like to hear it from you guys. Here is the rundown for my 2005 225:
1. ecu upgrade 499.00
2. flipswitch technology 149.00 stock/chipped
3. fault code erase 59.00
4. security lock out 59.00

what is the use of the lockout? Do I really need it? Why do I need the flipswitch if I plan to run the 93 program all the time, is this for when you take it in for service? I still have 40,000 miles on my warranty if that helps.

Thanks very much
Old 12-19-2005, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The lockout is sweet for when you take it in for service... and >>>

If you have a 2005, and you're even remotely interested in keeping the warranty, get the lockout! I don't know how 'friendly' dealerships are around your area, but 'round here, if they even *smell* a chip they'll void your warranty. And even if you change to stock mode, they'll try to switch it to chip'd mode (I know this from experience - got the car back from service and the cruise-control switch was flipped...)

Just swap to stock, lock it down, and take it to service. You'll have no problems after that. Other uses for the lockout - if you have the other programs (such as valet or whatnot), it's useful to keep those crazy valets out. Also (again from experience), if you happen to let your friend borrow your car (for any reason), you can slap it into stock mode and he/she'll be locked out from ******* the sled. Finally, if you stew the lockout with some cabbage and carrots, it's particularly tasty!

Don't bother with "Valet" mode, though. Farkin' useless. Race-gas mode is cool and fun, all two times you'll use it.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default did you miss the huge sale? call APR to see if they still have it on.

standard ECU upgrade gets 1 program free, or pay for 2 programs get 4 programs (stock, 91, 93, 100) and 2 upgrades. nice.

stock program is nice while in for service, and possibly if you let anyone borrow your car that you do not want to have "full power".

fault code erase/throttle body adaptation is nice so you dont have to bust out the VAG-COM all the time. especially for recurring codes you are aware of, and just want off the cluster until you can fix it.

i have it but have not used the security lockout yet.