TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

question about brake bleeding....

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about brake bleeding....

ive been working on changing rotors, pads, lines and fluid since yesterday morning. A friend stopped by later last night and was making it seem like bleeding the system was this ultra complicated process and I am crazy to attempt it. Im now a little nervous that im over my head. Could someone please just explain in the simplest way how to do this procedure. I would really appreciate it as I am past the point of no return to take it somewhere to have this done. Thanks guys
Old 10-16-2007, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default simplest? probably motive power bleeder

if you're doing it according to the 'traditional two-person' method, it's just like any other car...the bleeding order is RR, LR, RF, LF

hope that helps
Old 10-16-2007, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default i think my confusion is at a more simple level....

Do i pour the new fluid in the resevoir then just wait for it to come out of the bleeder valve at the caliper in the order you showed me?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 AM

Default First, get a second person...

Start with the rears, end with the fronts.

Locate the top most bleeder valve on the caliper, and place a clear plastic hose on it that drains to a bucket.

Next, ask the person in the car to pump-pump-pump then hold the brake down...then you slowly open the top bleeder valve until the person in the car yells that the pedal is almost to the floor. You shut the bleeder valve, and the person in the car lets the brake pedal recover.

Meanwhile, you top off the brake fluid resevoir.

Do the pump-pump-pump-hold-topoff until all the bubbles are gone, or if you are using different color brake fluid (say blue) until you see the new color fluid.

Do this 4x.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No...The manual brake bleeding procedure is...>

1) Make sure the reservoir is full

2) Rig up a clear tube, snap onto the bleeded screw, Dunk the other end in a Container with some fluid covering the bottom of the tube.

3) Have a friend sit in the car

4) Crack open the first bleed screw (start furthest from the master) and instruct him to make slow, steady pushes on the pedal until either: You've bled that line with a fair amount of fluid and no bubbles are showing in the tube, or, if using Superblue, the fluid changes color and it is clear of bubbles.

5) Tighten the bleed screw when the pedal is down

6) top off the reservoir and repeat on the other wheels..

7) good idea to go round a second time.

A full fluid swap will take about 1 quart of fluid.

Needless to say, a Motive bleeder or a vacuum set-up make this all a lot easier and a one man job..<ul><li><a href="http://www.motiveproducts.com/">http://www.motiveproducts.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 10-16-2007, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default More suggestions...............

Do not pump the pedal to the floor. You will now be pushing nasty fluid through the valve.

I use a vacumm bleeder from Griots. I start with right rear, left rear, right front, then left front.

With a vacuum bleeder I hook it to the valve on top of the caliper, then pump the vacumm bleeder about 10x and then open the caliper valve and nasty stuff starts flowing. I add new fluid to the bowl up front and don't let it get low. Takes me about an hour to do it this way.

I found the old pump the pedal way to not work particularly well. I strongly recommend these power or vacuum bleeders.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Yes. Don't let the pedal get to the floor...

Make sure the person in the car tells you to shut off the bleeder before the pedal gets to the floor. It happens quickly! So be ready.

The manual method worked well for me.