TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Question about Radar jammers

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Radar jammers

I've seen a few different discussions on this, but none that are very diffinative. the only reviews that i have seen on them are as old as 1996. as i understand it there is a whole new generation out. i'm thinking of getting this one and installing on my TT, so let my know what you guys think...
Thanks<ul><li><a href="http://www.radarscramblers.com/product_blackwidow.htm">Black Widow radar jammer</a></li></ul>
Old 04-09-2002, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passive radar jammers don't work--they are a gimmick. Some laser jammers do, however.

Check out this article<ul><li><a href="http://www.radartest.com/JOS.html">http://www.radartest.com/JOS.html</a</li></ul>
Old 04-09-2002, 08:56 AM

that site doesn't say anything about the modern generation of jammers
Old 04-09-2002, 10:18 AM

Default As an old USAF radar instructor and user, I wouldn't bet on it "protecting" me.

It's hard for me to believe a $240 retail device can jam trafic radar effectively. Translation: it can't. BTW, jamming radar 2-3 miles away takes a few watts; probably more than you can get thru your lighter plug!

If you don't have a V1 yet, spend the $405 and learn to use it. IMO, you'll be much better off ticket-wise.

My $.02
Old 04-09-2002, 10:39 AM

Default the way i understand it, the use of this jammer is just to...

give you time to check your speed without being monitored while doing so. it is made to be used in conjunction with a radar detector. i am going to get a V1 as soon as they come out with the hookup that connects to the Audi comp. display. sometime this summer. all the literature i've read says that it doesn't work with in about 100ft of the radar gun, and only works for a few seconds. which is all i really want, seeing as how i got a ticket the other day for speeding, the police officer had a speed that was way faster than i was going. so i want something else to put the odds in my favor. :-)
Old 04-09-2002, 01:35 PM

Default Ummm, I don't think so...

I don't believe the website's claims. If the police use instant-on Ka, you are toast within a couple of tenths of a second usually at 1000+ ft. or so from the gun. I don't understand the 100 ft. thing. That's just over a second before you pass the cop; by then he should be pretty easy to see!

Even a V1 won't save you from Instant-on, unless you pickup a "hit' on the guy in front of you, and whoa it down before he guns you. BTDT, sometimes successfully; sometimes not.

Speeding in a red TT without a detector (and the knowledge to use it effectively) is trolling for speeding tickets, IMO.

You might be wise to read up on how police radar works, and how to defend against it. If you rely on your "jammer", you'll continue to get speeding tickets.

Even a F-117 Stealth fighter, when operated improperly can get shot down; it happened, and the story is amazing. You have to be active, not your "jammer".

I don't think I'll change your mind on this, Jon, but I tried. Intersesting read in the link.

Best of luck!<ul><li><a href="http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Compliance/Orders/1997/fcc97404.txt">http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Compliance/Orders/1997/fcc97404.txt</a</li></ul>
Old 04-09-2002, 05:52 PM

Default oh i have a radar detector, and i use it pretty well, it's not the best in the world but

it will do for now, at least untill i get the V1. you will be happy to hear that i have decided against the passive jammer, and i'm not getting an active one for the simple fact that they are illegal, and i really don't want to do that, i'm sure that is asking for trouble. i'm, at the very least, going to wait until a review comes out for the current generation of radar jammers to make a final decision. or who knows i may see if i can write a review of them. maybe see if C&D will help out. not that i'm a writer or anything, but i can do okay with a word processor and spell check... oh well thanks for the input, i'll post anything i find out.
Later---&gt;