TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

QUESTION FOR ALL

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2001, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUESTION FOR ALL

I was just wondering if anyone knows what is the standard dealership's position on extras added to a vehicle (ie armrests bolted into the car, chips added, etc). Do they make you remove stuff when you return the car? Or penalize you financially?

Thx
Old 03-03-2001, 06:04 PM

Default Re: QUESTION FOR ALL

This is regarding a leased car, by the way.
Old 03-03-2001, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Armrest seems to be ok ... but ~

My dealership at least, says just about everything else will void the warrantee (including painting the break calipers, replacing the horns with dual-trumpets and/or adding exhaust tips). Chips, I'd never get away with it up at the place I go to - even today, our salesman said Audi issued an official memo to all dealerships about Chips ("they (sales people) are NOT to encourage or condone the use/installation of any such enhancements", per the memo).

... today, I got my euro-split mirror installed ... hoping they won't have a problem with that ... it IS an Audi OEM product, so.
Old 03-04-2001, 06:21 AM

Default Obviously, if you replace the exhaust system, the new exhaust isn't covered by Audi's

warranty (eg. Borla has a lifetime warranty that's better tha Audi's anyway.) But if your TT experiences a failure, it is up to Audi to PROVE that the failure resulted directly from the add-on before that can legally disallow warranty coverage on the failure.

Chipping DOES add extra stresses on the engine systems - that's the tradeoff. So to protect you own butt, many purchase an additional ECU that they chip and swap it out with the stock one before service to avoid any dealer hassle.

Even if your dealer is "add-on friendly," if it comes to warranty $$ that could potentially come out of THEIR pockets if the warranty repair is disallowed, remember it's all about money and money wins everytime.

So the "standard dealership's position" is "it's all about money" IMHO
Old 03-04-2001, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Life is short, don't fret the details! Mod the sucker!

My dealer has no prob with anything, in fact they kind of encourage it - they are Audi enthusiasts too! As long as you are open and work with them, they will work with you on whatever you desire for your Audi.

And mirrors are nothing, I still have my OEM mirrors and I intend to put them back on temporarily for my NJ inspection in June '02. In fact I might have the dealer swap them in & out since they have the actual tool and the inspection station is in the same town as the dealer.