TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Question for all, have you ever heard a slight chirping noise like a hungry baby bird only when...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question for all, have you ever heard a slight chirping noise like a hungry baby bird only when...

the car is first started after parked a long time?

It will only happen when the car is in motion for the first time and continues going even though the car is stopped. After about a minute, it's gone unless I park the car for many hours again.

It's quite weird because it doesn't seem to synch up with any of the car moving parts - whether that be the engine reving, axles spinning, suspension bouncing, climate control fan, auxiliary air pump, anything that I know of rotates. It's not through the radio too. Sounds under the right middle to rear of the car. I'm thinking it might be some vacuum line or fuel pump.

We had the slight noise ever since the roadster was new. I hear it mostly on our covered parking structure because it is so faint, it easily gets drowned by outside noise.

BTW, I haven't really tried to isolate the noise fully. Just throwing out the question in case someone found and fixed this before. I mentioned this before to the dealer, but no matter what, it won't replicate itself in there - unless maybe if we leave the car overnight and they know what to look for.

It's not annoying or anything, just never heard something like this on a car before. When a coworker noticed this before, I mentioned we have a pet mouse running the engine
Old 10-25-2004, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stop hiding hungry baby birds in your engine bay!
Old 10-25-2004, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

that's why I took out the stock airbox cuz I figured that's the most cozy place to build a nest :P
Old 10-25-2004, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your belt's tension
Old 10-25-2004, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have NO idea what causes it...

Mine only happens on cold starts - once a day.
It began for me last winter and I got scared and changed the timing belt @ 60k, but since the temps have gone south again, I have noticed the sound on a couple cold starts, so far this fall.

I could not track down d prob at the dealers. My previous timing belts, tension was ok when I had the techs replace it. :-/

I can make an audio recording to post if you want to compare bird sounds...
Old 10-25-2004, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the weird part is it doesn't synch up with the engine. Belt squeeks usually change with RPM.

I'll check them anyway.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

haha, I can try and record it too. Hopefully it picks up as it's so faint.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:41 PM

Default Steering Gear?

I've experienced same noise which appears to be temperature related. Happens on cool to cold days and not on warm days. Goes away when car warms up. Moving steering wheel quickly from side to side makes noise go away and/or changes frequency of "chirping". Dealer replaced steering gear and adjusted but problem did not go away. Probably a non critical design flaw as clearances change with temperature fluctuations. I've learned to live with it.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hmmm, never thought to wiggle steering wheel to change it's characteristics. I'll try that nexttime
Old 10-25-2004, 05:59 PM

Default Does pulley mod change characteristics?

Would be interesting to see if anyone who experienced this had it go away after installing power steering pulley mod.

Quick Reply: Question for all, have you ever heard a slight chirping noise like a hungry baby bird only when...