TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Question for anyone knowledgable about labor laws. My wife works in the medical field, she was sent

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for anyone knowledgable about labor laws. My wife works in the medical field, she was sent

home the other day because of incredibly bad weather (snowing like a ****). The office was closing a few hours early. The employees were under the impression that they were going to be paid for the full day. Now, a few days later they were told that they would not be compensated for the time missed. I'm pretty sure that I know the answer to this, but do they have any right to be paid for the missed time?

I work at Penn State University and when ****ty weather causes classes to be cancelled, we are told to stay home and we ARE paid for the full day...or half day or however long the campus is shut down. I realize that this is a very generous policy and I think that's exactly what it is...a policy, not a rule, regulation or law. I believe that some employers offer the possibility of using vacation time in this situation (if travel is thought to be dangerous), which I'm sure that my wife's office would allow. But the point is that they sent her home not giving her the option to complete the day after she had already reported for work. What dya think? Does she and her coworkers have any legitimate argument?

All comments are appreciated...

Thanks
Old 02-05-2004, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default this is wrong place to ask, we all got to get paid when we drive our TT's but seriosly>&a

1) is she in a union? if yes there must a clouse in contract outlining this.
2) if it is not union job but still there were contract sighn, same staff.
3) if it small emploier she should contact local labor office.
there might be a policy regarding this.
in my own opinion: i do not pay me peaple in such cases, i will roun time to the next hour that is all.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nope...no union....they probably employ 2 or 3 hundred people over a few offices.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:29 AM

Default you might want to try the OT forum...

as there are many more people there that might have some knowledge for ya
Old 02-05-2004, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Will do....thanks....
Old 02-05-2004, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Expert

No work, no pay. Some companies enforce mandatory vacations over holidays and such.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It depends on what her contract says....>>

you mentioned that she is in the medical field. If she happens to be a traveller - I think temp nurses and such are travellers - they usually have contracts that are very strict about what defines full/half days work.

I have heard a number of travellers gripe about getting screwed where that is concerned. - that said, the get PAID! some of the workaholics I knew banked just over 6 figs!