TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

The Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-1999, 06:23 PM
Mark

Default The Radio

<br>I think this is one awesome car. Except, the radio is weak. "Mushy" as someone sighted earlier. Even CD's are below par.<p>I live 50 miles from booming NYC broadcast stations and we have strong FM radio signals from several suburban stations. Let's face it. For $35,000 loaded....This car should come with a high end audio system that matches the quality of the rest of the engineering. Period. <p>June issue of Autombile Magazine has terrific articles/reviews on the 180TT and the upcoming Roadster. The story of the original concept, the designer(s)involved and how it all came to life is worth a read. Plus there are some extra fine photos of the Blue 180 and the amazing Black Roadster.<p>I only disagreed with one of their complements...the review of the Bose was way too positive. Come to think of it, isn't it Bose that has that fine tabletop "surround sound" radio....that they advertise everywhere. I think it sells for about $350. If I was the Bose brand manager, I'd be real pissed about this much negative chat. (This is my last comment on the radio...) <p>Anyway, enjoy....'cause everything else is AOK.
Old 05-27-1999, 06:55 PM
Grant

Default Re: The Radio

I have to agree, the sound system is 'average'.<p>Specifically, while listening to quiet passages on classical CDs, there is a fair amount of engine whine, at anything above 3500 rpm. This is disappointing, and can be avoided by making sure the cabling to the amplifier is done with care (keeping power and pre-amp signals apart).<p>I plan to VERY carefully start to look at how the speakers and amplifier are installed. When I was younger, I did some car installation work - if I do replace the speakers and amp, I'll take pictures of the process and post them for those of you that are interested.<p>I probably will not replace the main deck, as the integration with the on board computer is superb. (I'm pretty sure there are RCA outputs on this deck.)
Old 05-27-1999, 08:04 PM
Jason Dale

Default Re: The Radio

Grant,<br> Just as a word of caution-try to exersize care removing the interior panels, esepecially in the rear, they are fairly fragile.<p>Jason Dale<br>Audi Technician<br>Ken Garff Motors<br>Provo, UT