TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

To Rag, Or Not To Rag? That Is The Question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2000, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Rag, Or Not To Rag? That Is The Question.

So, I have been contemplating what model, colors, and options for my soon-to-put-a-deposit-on TT.

The two colors I have in mind are Denim Blue and Nimbus Grey. I had for a bit thought that a Green/Green/Green would look unique, and it does. Unfortunately, the pictures I have seen have made me decide otherwise.

The only option that appears to be a good deal is the Premium Package. This I will be adding on without a doubt. The Bose sound seems a bit too expensive for what it includes. I think I will be going with an aftermarket setup for my listening pleasure.

For the pick between 225 and 180... 225 hands down. That was any easy one for me.

So, now I come to the biggest dilemma. Rag or hardtop? Man, I never thought this would be so difficult. On one hand, you have the hardtop. It is pure beauty undeniable. It is a bit lighter and faster than the rag as well. The hardtop was my sole choice until... PorTTland had the audacity to post some very exciting rag shots a few days ago showing the joys of driving a rag. Now, I just don't know what to do. I suppose there are much more difficult decisions in life, but this one is damn important to me now.

What do you all think. In your opinions, does the attractiveness and speed of the hardtop outweigh the driving pleasure of the roadster? Or is it truly more pleasureable? I have never owned a rag and need some help. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2000, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My $.02...

The biggest factors in whether to go roadster or not IMHO are if you need the versatility of rear seats and/or folding rear seats, if you need trunk space, and of course your personality.

I bought a coupe mainly because after having owned a soft-top Jeep for three years I realized I didn't put the top down that often because of the hours I worked - I would often drive to work in the summer when it was 90+ degrees out and home after sunset. That and the roadster doesn't come in Denim Blue.

However, the roadster <b>does</b> look even cooler than the coupe with its roll-bars, but for maximum cool quotient you will have to remember to drive it often with the top down and to stock up on SPF 40.

Then again, while the only thing needed to break into a coupe is a rock, the only thing needed to break into a roadster is a pocket knife.

In short, if you have the extra $$ to go ragtop, figure out how you will use the car and choose accordingly.

Or just say "what the f**k" and go topless... ;-)
Old 09-28-2000, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Even with the top up, my TTR is way more fun then anything else I could drive.

And on sunny days, oh my gawd it's fun.
Old 09-28-2000, 05:50 AM

Default my reasons for getting a coupe..

mainly have to do with living in michigan. i test drove a roadster and it was so incredibly fun, but, realistically, i wouldn't be putting the top down very often in this part of the world ... there's about 5 months out of the year where it would be useful and within those months maybe a week each.

plus i like the lines of the coupe better.

if i had my druthers i'd have one of each but,...

i also wanted blue, like billk.

so,... take into consideration your climate, and the back seat issue is a good point as well...<p>---
2001 blue/blue quattro TTC
'just say NO to car bras!'
Old 09-28-2000, 05:50 AM

Default Well, since you are asking...... First read BillK's cause I agree with him, then....

My other 2 cents is that I think of your two color choices the Denim Blue has it all over the Gray. I have seen a grey roadster. Boring!!! I have seen a blue Coupe (I'm partial cause that's what I'm getting but...) but the Blue is very classy compared to the Grey. To me Grey, Silver, those colors look like Non Colors. Like primer, like they forgot to spray the car.
As far as coupe or Ragtop, I think BillK's feelings are right on, plus I bought a coupe because I think all the looks and character of what makes a TT, the long, low roofline sloping into the "trunk", is lost with the soft top. To me the trunk becomes long and flat all the way to the back seats and the car just looks like a flat slab of metal with a curved front and back. It's the hard top, the low, curved top that makes a TT classy and different to me. Other may have different opinions but since you asked.... Easier to take car of a metal top over the years too if you aren't going to put the soft top down all the time. The pictures always show the cars with the tops down for how they look, but you most often drive it with the top up, and it doesn't look as good. Prime example, Honda S2000, looks like **** (pardon French) with top up but how many pictures can you find with top up?<p>Dean in Chicago 'Burbs

Waitin' on a Denim Blue TT Coupe, 180HP Quattro with Ebony Leather
Options: Premium Pkg, Audio Pkg
Old 09-28-2000, 05:51 AM

Default You guys with Blue all have good tast I must say!!!!!!!

<p>Dean in Chicago 'Burbs

Old 09-28-2000, 05:52 AM

Default taste---->not tast

Old 09-28-2000, 05:59 AM

Default thanks, i'm actually still waiting on mine...

but it's due in the next week or two

perfect timing 'coz my birthday is tomorrow

(whoo-hoo, 22... a very good year <p>---
2001 blue/blue quattro TTC
'just say NO to car bras!'
Old 09-28-2000, 06:07 AM

Default Well, I'm waiting on mine also, just got my VIN Monday....But I've seen Blue at Dealer, AWESOME!!!!!

Old 09-28-2000, 06:16 AM

Default So far it seems the concensus is that the coupe is more desired.

Or, maybe the roadster drivers all had a really late night out cruising topless (the car >8) ) and haven't awoken yet.

Just a thought.

Quick Reply: To Rag, Or Not To Rag? That Is The Question.