TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

randomly losing power and shutting off 03 audi tt

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default randomly losing power and shutting off 03 audi tt

Hi there, need help and would greatly appreciate any experience on the matter.

I have a 03 audi tt 1.8l fwd 115,000 miles.. it randomly shut off on me twice. This is the 2nd time. 1st time the lights on the cluster came on (check engine, abs, battery, <!>, and rpm & speed gauge were going up and down) with low throttle response as it seemed to be losing power. I tried starting it, it'd crank a bit but would not start. I got a used battery and new alternator installed, it worked to move the car. But would not start again. Had it towed to audi dealership for service. Also had them service the spark plugs and coils. When I got it back they replaced and said it was the fuse box. They showed me as it was burnt. Along with some other notable problems crankcase hose, oil leak, transmission gasket, cv axles need to be replaced. This was exactly 1 week ago. Today, it just pulled the same thing, clusters acting up, no power and turned off on me on the road. ...while I nearly spent $1000 last week I'm in desperate need for help to get this car running right . I know I need to address all issues but I can only afford a couple at a time. If anyone else had similar problems and can point me in the right direction so I can address this issue to audi or a good mechanic I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 05-03-2019, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are you sure it is electric, bad low fuel pressure, bad fuel, open the fuel tank filler cap, WHOOSH of suction? fuel at the cylinder, you wrote crank engine works, pull a spark plug one at a time literally wave your hand over the plug hole, DO NOT TAKE A BIG HIT OF ASPERATED FUEL INTO YOUR NOSE, IF it cranks you have power to the starter circuit only, burnt wires in the ignition system wiring from the fuse box issue, wiring harness short that caused the fuse box to fry, got squirrels eating plastic wiring cover?