TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Rear shock mount detached from chassis

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear shock mount detached from chassis

Has any one seen this before and have suggestions for how to reattach. I'm thinking welding by tacking it in place and welding around the entire edge.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's crazy to see. I guess Hans had one too many biers after lunch. I think you're on the right track, that's what I would do. Hammer the torn metal back to flat. Grind down the area. Spray with weld through primer. Drill out the spot welds on the shock mount larger enough they encompass the hole in the body so you can weld to metal. Hold in place and then fill in all the holes with weld. I don't think seam welding the whole thing around the outside is necessary, but a few 2" beads sure couldn't hurt.

It looks pretty dirty, make sure you scrub really well ahead of time.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I live in Orlando and they are 3 years in to a 6 year project on I4. It is insane how rough the road is. I also have some responsibility as I've haven't replaced the shocks in 223000 miles and I'm sure they are bottoming out and transferring more energy than new ones. I'll be putting new shocks on.

I've already cleaned the mount in the parts washer. I need to get a better grind attachment the one I have is not getting in to places I need.
I'll post some pictures after it is reattached
Old 05-21-2019, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Might want to throw a few seam welds on the other rear shock mount while you've got everything set up.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Quick Update

Since my welding skills are non-existent. I hired someone to come out and reattach it for me. I will not be able to get back to the car until Saturday so I will have to look at the other side when I replace the shocks and paint the repair this weekend. If it needs some lovin I will take it somewhere for that.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That's in the correct spot, right? The top looks like it has ripped spot welds showing. Looks like it's solidly reattached though.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2004TTS
That's in the correct spot, right? The top looks like it has ripped spot welds showing. Looks like it's solidly reattached though.
I know what you are saying. It looks a little off to me too. I wasn't there for while it was reattached. I asked and was told everything lined up. I guess it is possible the mount was bent. I will find out on Saturday when I get back to town.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Honestly, even if it is bent a bit, you're not racing so you won't notice. The wheel doesn't locate on the shock and the amount of difference that an 1/8" makes won't really affect the damping. It'll be fine.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Wow. I’ve followed this and other Mk1 TT forums since 2003 when I got my blue coupe. I have never heard of another case of this!
Good job on the repair.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Wow. I’ve followed this and other Mk1 TT forums since 2003 when I got my blue coupe. I have never heard of another case of this!
Good job on the repair.
I will be putting her back together on Saturday and will update on the condition of the other side. I didn't think to look.

In Orlando Interstate 4 is in the middle of a huge construction project and the road has been horrible the last few years. Last fall I broke the front upper strut mounts. You could be driving along and hit a bump or dip in the road and the car would bottom out. It is these stresses and the the struts and shocks are original to the car from 2001. That caused this failure. For 3 years now I have been hitting unseen bumps in the road at 50 to 70 mph.

I am going to attempt to file a claim for the damage on the car, but doubt it will get approved. I'm into it for about $400.00 right now. That is not a bad deal.

Quick Reply: Rear shock mount detached from chassis