TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Rental car, loaner, TT comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 07:01 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rental car, loaner, TT comparison

OK, so a few weeks ago I had the TT in the shop and got a Hyundai, Santa Fe. It's in the shop again (different deal) and I got on loaner a Silverado Crew Cab long bed, and while on vacation in Miami last week got a convertable Mustang.

In order of like to dislike:
Silverado
Hyundai
Mustang.

Silverado is a little big--it wont fit in my garage--but nice inside. Lots a room for kids and its nice to be able to haul stuff. I haven't tried to push it at all because there's no point to that. The AC works well and there is lots of inside storage. It's just a decent truck. If I was to buy a truck I'd rather have a short-bed crew cab with 4 wheel drive. But the Silverado is not bad at all.

Hyundai--there are lots of jokes bout these cars but I tell ya, the inside was nice. Again it's nice to have more room. This one handled kinda like a large row boat. But it has nice clearance. It's nothing to sneeze at considering Hyundai's warranty. And though I wouldnt buy one unless I had to for some reason, I could live with the situation.

Mustang-- first of all, the inside is a horrow show. A host of awful, ugly, swooping black plastic/vinyl curves. And it's not that roomy inside at all, though that may not be a fair critique of a convertable. There is not a lot of storage and the runk is kinda small. I't just an ugly car inside and seems to be of poor quality.

This made me remember why me and lots of other people don't like domestic cars (though that is not the case with the silverado).

It's the base Mustang with an auto tranny, so there was no performance at all and had a kind of noisy engine but not in a good way.

On the plus side the convertable top worked well. it was asy to undo and put down and put back, although I had to play a bit with the passenger side mechanism that locked the top in place. The wipers worked well but there was poor visibility from both side mirrors. Far worse than the TT.

Before I bought my TT I was thinking of the resissued Mach stang with the shaker hood. But man the Mach, or even the Cobra, with that awful interior... I just don't know how anyone could justify paying for one. I guess I'm just spoiled from driving my TT.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A4 loaner impressions..>

Just got back from a few miles in it, and overall, pretty nice. The 3.0 CVT system is smooth. Car is a little boat-like, but very solid. Interior is really nice. I can see why folks like S4's!
Old 08-30-2004, 07:17 AM

TT interior puts them all to shame!
Old 08-30-2004, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agree the A4 w/out Sport has more body roll and floatiness than I'd prefer. But a solid car.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if you like the silverado, you'd love the new F150....

...that thing is literally quieter at freeway speeds than my A6. And as smooth. Even the supercab has a huge back seat.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You mean there is still dealer has gives loaners? >>>

The local Dayton OH dealer (White-Allen) doesn't do that any more. They will however be glad to rent you one through the local Enterprise office.

One of many reasons why I'll probably buy my next car up in Columbus OH where the only question they ask is "what color loaner car would you like, sir?"

----------------------------

HalleTT
2001 225QC
Old 08-30-2004, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yep they do . I get an Audi loaner verytime
Old 08-30-2004, 09:21 AM
Elder Member

Dealer does enterprise too, called it loaner cause I didnt have to pay
Old 08-30-2004, 09:24 AM
Elder Member

Default Well they look good but..

too big for me. I'd get a Frontier if I was to buy a truck, and a a Ducati mh900e. LOL
Old 08-30-2004, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default funny thing is, you get used to it quickly...

...when I first bought the F150, I was totally paranoid about running into other vehicles, especially in tight parking lots...you almost get a claustrophobic sensation at first. But you get used to it. It would probably be a nightmare to park in a big city on a regular basis, however.

Quick Reply: Rental car, loaner, TT comparison