TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Replaced leather seat cover-- excellent experience at Anchor on Long Island (long)...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced leather seat cover-- excellent experience at Anchor on Long Island (long)...

although I often lurk, I rarely post due to lack of time and expertise; however, I thought this might interest some. Within the first 1000 miles of getting my TT, the driver seat leather began losing color at and around stress points where the seat creases, exposing the white leather beneath (interior is aviator gray). The problem was with the seat bottom (seat back was fine), and there was no problem on the bolsters as some here have reported. I had hoped that it might be possible to repair without replacing the leather.

At my first service (5000 miles), Anchor Audi on Long Island arranged for an outside leather expert to try the repair. The repair looked great for a few months, but eventually, the dye or paint that was used began to flake off -- making the seat look even worse than before. Took it back to Anchor and showed Joe, one of the service managers, who said that they would gladly replace the leather. The work would be done by a contracted upholstery shop.

Today was the replacement. Arrived at Anchor at 8AM and was promptly met by the other service manager, John. John offered a loaner (which I hadn't previously requested), but I informed him that I would rather go with the car (afraid to have it left for the day with a third party I knew nothing about). John said no problem, I could take the car myself with the new leather.

Arrived at the upholstery place about a mile from the dealer at 9AM (when they opened), and was out by 10:45AM. They started on my car very shortly after arrival, and took great care in their work. They knew what they were doing. The new leather looks perfect (except that the grain is slightly different from the original...not really noticable). I was most pleased by the whole process. Both service managers (Joe & John) at Anchor have been excellent thus far in my ownership experience.

A word of caution to anyone thinking of a leather repair with a dye/paint -- the guy at the upholstery shop said that that kind of fix never works....and from what I experienced, I would tend to believe him. Hope someone finds this useful.
Old 08-20-2001, 05:06 PM

Default Used Anchor for service with my A4 and now with my TT. Joe and John are superb

and John is an auto-X buddy of mine. They always do a great job. Eric also has very pleasant experiences there. Larry on the other hand... Doug
Old 08-20-2001, 06:08 PM

See I am not the only one who has a good relationship with Anchor service.