TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

shifting the TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting the TT

I am not used to driving a car with such a tight clutch, and I am having trouble with my new 225 roadster. In my old car, I would just let off the clutch and then give some gas once the car got moving. But in this car, that doesnt' always work because there is no margin for error. What do you guys recommend? should I give some gas first? let me know what your experience tells you... thanks, Eric
Old 05-31-2001, 01:41 PM
Elder Member

Default Re: shifting the TT

I will be interested in any responses to this question Eric... having just purchased my 225 quattro TT I find the clutch not to be difficult but quite different from my other manual transmissions in the past. The only real 'issue' is in first gear, if you ask me; if you give it a good amount of gas the turbo kicks in and you're near redline before you know it... too little gas and there's a hesitation before it decides it wants to go forward... I'm all ears for shifting tips on this faaaaaaaaaaast little car. Thanks from me too... Nancy
Old 05-31-2001, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: shifting the TT

What I do is when I am at a stop sign I let off the clutch slightly while at the same time slowly giving it gas making for a nice smooth shift into first. In any other gear I press the clutch, then let off completely before giving it gas and then step on it. This also allows for the smoothest shift pattern, unless you follow the first step for all gears which I think will ultimately cause your clutch to wear prematurely. I am interested to know what everyone else does. -Doug
Old 05-31-2001, 02:04 PM
Elder Member

Default I love the TT clutch...

because it allows for a range of subtleties that ni other manual (that I've owned) provides. I would not recommend too much throttle before engaging (unless you're playing with a Boxter) b/c that's tough on the clutch. I found that with a little throttle the launch is very smooth and without hesitation. I rarely hammer the car in 1st gear anyway.

The TT clutch is also very predictable and sensitive (can be completely engaged and feathered with your toe - no need to ram your whole leg into it). The relatively short shifter is also a lot of fun.

OK, I didn't really answer any of your questions but I know others will be much more helpfull.

Enjoy it!!!
Old 05-31-2001, 02:05 PM

Default I just watch my girlfriends neck and head. All joking aside... =;^0

I just try to keep her head from moving back and forth while I shift. =;^0

Go ahead, I'm expecting a few slams for this one!
Old 05-31-2001, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LMAO, that is my goal as well!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2001, 02:13 PM
Elder Member

Default Re: I love the TT clutch...

I like it too, just takes a little getting used to... 'specially after just three days of ownership! I do love the shifter and the short throw is just great; effortless to shift and find the gears. Been driving sticks for 25 years tho' and I AM enjoying this one a LOT!

Nancy
Southeast Florida
2001 Lake Silver 225Q coupe
Aviator grey leather, Bose, loaded.
Name: "Baby"
Old 05-31-2001, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wait. That ISN"T the way to shift?
Old 05-31-2001, 02:24 PM

Default It isn't? If I make it move any more than it already does...

I was worried that the clutch would blow.
Old 05-31-2001, 02:39 PM

no slam, i watch my passengers in my peripheral vision to gauge my shifting abilities :-)

Quick Reply: shifting the TT