TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Simple and cheap Glove box fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple and cheap Glove box fix

I found a simply and cheap fix for the glove box latch mechanism and thought I would share for anyone who might be interested

Not sure if something like this has already been posted. I'm sure it has so sorry if this is redundant. Anyway the glove box on my TT has been broken since I bought the car a year ago and finally got around to seeing if I could figure out a simple and cheap fix.

Well here you go, very easy and cheap. The way the glove box is held shut is with to plastic rods that protrude out of each end of the box. the two rods work together in the middle by a round plastic gear so that when the latch is pulled a lever pushes the left rod inward... the center plastic gear will cause the right side to slide inward as well thus allowing the glove box to open.

The problem with mine, and I am sure with others, is that the plastic gear in the center is held in place by a plastic pin molded to the base of the glove box allowing the gear to free spin in place. It is that plastic pin that broke off causing the gear to come off it was simply laying between the base and the felt lining.

All I did was find a screw and nut just small enough to slide through the gear then I drilled a small hole through the felt lining bolted it down making sure not to tighten so much that the gear cannot spin.

I could not get the inner liner out so I just simply removed as many screws as a could and pried it open enough the drill the hole and bolt the gear back in place.

The only issue is when the box is open you can see the screw and nut, not the fanciest fix but it works.

Pics can be found here:
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#AC5Uzl7VG5B2cB
Attached Images