TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

So I pull into a gas station right next to some cops...they ask me why I don't have a front plate...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I pull into a gas station right next to some cops...they ask me why I don't have a front plate...

i tell them to get lost...in my mind...then calmly tell them, "the car is new and my plates haven't come in yet". Flustered he came back with, "well thats a nice looking car...how do you like it?"

Whew! that was close. Why does IL have such stupid laws? It's not gonna hurt anyone to not have a front plate, and it'll save people tons of money.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've had mixed results.

When I was puled over in Wayne, the cop clearly saw it wasn't there, looked for it, but said nothing. The State Trooper on 355 felt like ragging on me, but only gave me a warning. I think that Chris got a ticket in a parking lot in Des Plains for it though ...
Old 04-18-2002, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I told them the car wash ripped it off
Old 04-18-2002, 02:56 PM

What about your rear plate? Didn't they see that?
Old 04-18-2002, 03:38 PM

Default Same thing in Mass.

I just picked up my ALMS and I asked the dealer not to put the front plate on. Now I have 5 days to get the car inspected.

Need a temporary way to attach the front plate to get a sticker
Old 04-18-2002, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am moving from IL to AZ just so I don't have to put a front plate on my TT.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

wire ties thru the lower front grill - gently of course
Old 04-18-2002, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's for the children...

Little story...

Around six months ago a bill was winding its way through the Colorado legislature to drop our front plates. Law enforcement didn't like the idea (largely because it makes photo radar impossible to use - how are you going to get a photo of the plate, car and driver if there's no front plate?)

However, around the same time there was a hit and run in which a six or seven year old girl was killed, and even though the driver that did it turned himself in, the main clue was the <i>front plate</i>, which was torn off in the accident.

I think you can guess what happened to the bill once people started in with "If it wasn't for that front plate, we may have never known who killed this little girl, can we put our children at risk like that?"

This is, of course, the same Colorado legislature that is about to make bicycle helmets <b>mandatory</b> for children under 14...

So, bottom line, things like <i>that</i> (and, to repeat myself, photo radar) are why front plates aren't going away.

(On the photo radar note, that's specifically why San Francisco said they were going to step up their enforcement of the front plate rule...)
Old 04-18-2002, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That probably won't fly...

Depending on your inspector, they (and especially Police inspecting after fix-it tickets) are getting pickier about making sure the front plate is mounted securely. Many inspectors are now pulling firmly on the front plate to make sure you haven't just tried the old double-sided tape trick, and I don't think wire ties would work in that situation either...
Old 04-18-2002, 05:23 PM

just say: "on my way to a bank heist"...

Quick Reply: So I pull into a gas station right next to some cops...they ask me why I don't have a front plate...