TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Speed Concerns Dog Audi's TT Sports Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-1999, 06:02 PM
brf

Default Speed Concerns Dog Audi's TT Sports Car

Speed Concerns Dog Audi's TT Sports Car
Audi's voluptuous TT sports car has become a source of embarrassment instead of pride and prestige for the German automaker. Concern about the safety of the handling of the low-slung heavily streamlined car has forced Audi to recall all 40,000 built so far and order production line changes. But so far the Volkswagen AG sports/luxury brand has escaped the ridicule and gigantic financial costs suffered by Mercedes' landmark A-Class after it flipped over in a road test. Auto industry experts say the problem with the TT sports coupe is that its muscular, aerodynamic shape may promise high performance but not be able to deliver on it with the level of handling security it implies. Despite the wind-cheating look, the TT's stability at high speed has been called into question: some suggest that rather than hug the road as speed gathers, the TT actually lifts. Audi issued the voluntary recall last month after several accidents involving the car—including one fatality reported in the German press—sparked a rash of complaints about its handling, particularly turning, at high speeds. In a bid to steady the rear of the car and prevent aerodynamic lift, the company will fit firmer front and rear stabilizers, put new wishbones in the suspension and add a tail spoiler. Reuters, November 22, 1999
Old 12-14-1999, 08:05 PM
Rip Van Wrinkle

(yawn)
Old 12-14-1999, 09:58 PM
smiTTy

Default Re: Speed Concerns Dog Audi's TT Sports Car

Thanks, but...
Old news is no news.
The TT will survive!
Old 12-15-1999, 06:35 AM
TimoThy

...if u didnt know it by now... u are NOT a TTer..... shoo shooooo, go away!
Old 12-15-1999, 08:58 PM
Geoffrey

Default Re: ...if u didnt know it by now... u are NOT a TTer..... shoo shooooo, go away!

I feel I want to respond to this as a recent buyer of a 180Q I let my 2 month old 2000 VR6 golf go and I can tell you right now the VR was faster and moved in a wonderfully linear fashion from 1 to 5 When first sat in the TT the first 3 days were what have i done ? - not happy.

But then it happened I began to appreciate the whole retro think about working the gears and the whole experience of the car and all the necks of
people i passed WOW - what is that !!!! great for the ego !
if its just about speed then get a 911 porsche for double the price you can't get the thing out of 3 rd gear without breaking the law in the US / Canada Seriously though guys it does look a lot faster than it actually is can't speak for the 225
yet I have thought about chipping but nah !!!

I will sell it before I put a spoiler on my TT.

There thats my rant