TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Strut cap- still concerned after putting car on lift today and watching billet caps crush against

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut cap- still concerned after putting car on lift today and watching billet caps crush against

strut tower.

I know we've (you have) gone over this ad infinitum (and it's really been helpful, too).

Put the car on the lift today to replace shock bolts, check oil pan for leaks, lube sway bar bush and find the missing piece from the side marker (not there, BTW). I also wanted to try and tighten the strut cap bolts with an air gun (no luck as socket was too fat).

Anyway, with the car in the air, I opened the hood and the aluminum strut caps were TIGHT against the strut tower. When I lowered the car, the car's paint was scratched from the aluminum cap.

I understand a gap (although my two are not the same distance) is normal, but are the strut assemblies supposed to drop when the car is lifted?

Or, should they be supported by the pressure of the spring?

Just want/need answers and advice before I go taking the whole thing apart again.

THANKS!
Old 10-09-2008, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

strut assemblies drop when you lift the car, gravity is a heluva drug
Old 10-09-2008, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Strut caps...

are only there to keep the suspension from falling out when you take jumps (or put the car on a body lift). For normal driving, the weight of the car keeps the bush/bearing firmly seated in the body pocket.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:44 PM

Default you should be first to do strut cap delete mod

let us know how it pans out
Old 10-09-2008, 03:52 PM

Default Pans out...that's funny. Am simply asking for help from people who know the car much better than I.

If you can't add anything productive, then STFU!

LOL, deal with little irritations like you on a regular basis. Normally we just toss 'em out of the Navy after 45 days in my private little hell hole. Restriction, a program I run, is where I break down boys like you (especially boys who drive purple cars).

This will be my last response to you as I've better things to do than waste my time with crap stains.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:54 PM

Default nut was tightened with an allen key, socket and vice grips. fairly certain it isn't at torque spec.

Will probably buy the wrench just to make sure it's on correctly. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:56 PM

Default Johnny- with everything else on the car seemingly so tight, the gap just throws me off.

Nervous Nellying it and just wanted/needed some confirmation...

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:56 PM

Default lol

the fact that a retard like you is issued a firearm by the US govt is the funny thing.

or not.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the real question is how is it handling - is it tight, does it make noise, etc. >

if there aren't any handling issues - sloppy/loose, noise, knocking and the like, skip it; stop worrying. Are there?
Old 10-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Default Only noise I hear is a plastic buzz coming from under the vents and something from the driver

door (probably the little piece of plastic off the side marker which fell back instead of forward).

I don't hear anything from the front, but other than taking turns fast, I haven't hit a pothole or anything like that going fast or slow. Plus, around the neighborhood, I tend to go pretty slow (kids, animals, etc.). So, not sure if I am doing anything to create a sound which might indicate a problem.

This will be my last post on the matter. I realize I worry about the "little" things, but with this car (or any "expensive" car), I try to find and eliminate small problems before they become large (and expensive) ones.

Over the next few days, I'll try to find some hilly areas and come over them with some speed and then feel/listen for anything unusual.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Strut cap- still concerned after putting car on lift today and watching billet caps crush against