TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Stupid Questions... FMIC and more

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 04:42 PM
gio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Questions... FMIC and more

Everyone says I ask way too many questions. So bear with me please and help me out if you know the answers...

1) Is it possible to buy a Forge Intercooler (made for the 225TT) and put it in a 180TT. Why can't you just connect the hose for the side of the 180TT that has the intercooler and block off the other side of the FMIC intercooler? This is probably stupid but I don't know how intercoolers work so it seems like it should be fine to me.

2) Is 235 the widest wheel you can get for a TT? Will 245 wheels fit? I think I saw someone with 245's in the back but 235's in the front. Besides appearance *why* would you do this (TT is a FWD car most of the time). Will 245's fit in the front?

3) H&R Coilovers seem a little expensive, but the stock shocks do suck (mine are bouncing at 18k miles - maybe its because I routinely put 3 girls in the back seat), so I'm considering Bilstein shocks + H&R sport springs. This seems to be the best combination. How will this compare to coilovers? I'm only interesting in lowering the car to improve handling, but I need the shocks to deal with horrid Boston roads. What can I expect from this combo?

4) I put in a Bailey DV last August. A few weeks later everyone realized they were being put in backwards (thus, the Darth Vader sound). I've heard that this actually won't cause any damage but the sound is bothering me. I'm afraid to reverse the valve though as I don't know if it will fit that way or I may break a clamp in doing so. Any place to get more clamps? Will a Bailey fit "backwards" in a 180 TT without a new hose?

5) Do all TT's have their side view mirrors tinted to match the color of the car or are all of them "blue" (my bluish mirrors match my air superioty grey TT). If I get the "European" no-blind-spot mirrors will they be tinted the color of the car?

Last stupid question of the day:
6) If I dropped my TT off a cliff would it be more likely to land on the roof or the bottom?
ok, that one was a joke
Old 04-18-2001, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

bottom :-)
Old 04-18-2001, 05:05 PM

Default Re: #4 ...

4) You might want to direct your questions to Todd at AWE (www.awe-tuning.com), but if you can't get clamps elsewhere we can send you some. Switching it around is easy.
Old 04-18-2001, 05:12 PM

Default Re:#2 and #5

I think all mirrors are tinted the same bluish colour. As to wheels ... in spite of whats on board at times I would stick with a good 225 width, remember even with haldex thinner is better in the rain and also a wider tire with a different outside diameter will change your gearing and speedo.... This is an arguable point but I feel that on an awd car its better to keep same size all the way around.... sides at 180hp you really dont have enough power to be able to really utilize a wider stickier tread.... also arguable point.... just my opinion
Old 04-18-2001, 05:49 PM

Default #2. 255's will fit in back.

Max from Edge Racing (distributors of AEZ rims) has a TT with 225's or 235's in front, and 255/35R18 in back. He and the car were at the SEMA show in Las Vegas; the car looked good.

Now, as to WHY you would do this...I asked him the same question. "Doesn't it understeer a lot more with this setup?" "Yes. But it looks very cool." Well...there you go.

By the way, the 255/35R18 tire is within 1% of the diameter of the 205/55R16 or 225/45R17 that comes stock on the car, so you don't have to worry about center diff or speedometer calibration problems.

I like having all four tires the same size on an AWD car. It makes sense to me. Plus, you can rotate them front-to-back, saving money by extending the life of the set of tires.

--Dan<ul><li><a href="http://www.machvw.com">Mach V Motorsports</a></li></ul>
Old 04-18-2001, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey BuLLit...How bout' a pic of those SSR's???
Old 04-18-2001, 06:22 PM
Former Vendor

I'll have the ABT 180hp FMIC here next week at Strat
Old 04-18-2001, 06:29 PM
gio

Default can't utilize a wider tire?

hmmm... I have no problem spinning all four tires when it is raining out and I drop the clutch at 4k+ RPM. Also, I should have 220+ hp with Garrett stage 2 and Borla exhaust. But its not the take off part that I'm concerned about. I mostly want to be able to take turns faster. Doesn't this mean I need wider tires? Because I thought larger radius tires would increase the contact patch length and thus increases the 0-60 time but not the turning. Am I right?
Old 04-18-2001, 06:42 PM

Default Sure 255's might fit in back with right offset... but wheres the performance??

I think puttin a wider rear on TT is mainly just cause it looks great.... talked to alot of people on this one... mainy club racers, and even a buddy on mine whos a formula 2000 racer.... nobody ive talked to seems to think that on a TT a wider rear will be beneficial.... sides wet weather grip will decrease with a wider patch due to increase aqua planning... also a wider tire... generally needs a wider rim which ussually weighs more unless its magnesium and more weight means slower turn in, slower braking, slower 0-60 times ect... I think the TT is definetely heavy enough without addin to it.... (I drank the beer in the trunk ) THe only awd car I can think of with a wider rear section are the 911s and hey due to their weird setup their a predominantly rear wheel drive car anyways with a capped maximum for the fronts.... I know some will disagree.... but other than from making the car look better.... I dont see a wider rear tire helpin handlin enough to compensate for all the other drawbacks..... my opinion
Old 04-18-2001, 06:45 PM

u got mail

Quick Reply: Stupid Questions... FMIC and more