TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Suggestions for a tool to develop a simple web interface to access a small database

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for a tool to develop a simple web interface to access a small database

Basically, I need to develop a front end to a database containing computer hardware info, who it belongs to , etc.

Any suggestions?

The one I have in mind is DreamWeaver. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-26-2002, 11:55 AM
TTP
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: it depends on how or what manner you want to interact with the database..

Dreamweaver can help you make a nice webpage, but it doesn't do much to handle interactivity between the webpage and the database.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:04 PM

Default well, if you want to select only, and you can work in the windows world, try Access

you can use ODBC or ADO to connect to the databases then use Access just for the application part. You can even publish out to webpages.

Otherwise, if you have some perl chops, check out Perl DBI and either Mason or TemplateToolkit. You can do whatever you want there.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:47 PM

Default Another thing to consider is what type of server the pages are going to be on ...

If it is a MicroSoft server then Active Server Pages (ASP) may be a good option for the interface, otherwise if it is Apache or other then perl or php may be options.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:04 PM

Default Not exactly right - Dreamweaver Ultradev (and the new MX) will allow you to connect to a database...

and develop. The only problem is that it takes A LOT of getting used to - its pretty useless for me since I like to code that stuff by hand and I get frustrated with the DW interface. Now if you don't code and want to use a "tool" or application then DW might work fine.

As for databases... again... depends on how in depth you wanna go. A simple version would use Access... a full blown version would require something a bit better (MS-SQL or the free MySQL).

As noted before access will allow you to create standard interfaces or forms so you can enter/edit/delete info but it only works on a single machine and not throught the web.

If you have the time to learn - DreamWeaver is a good tool.

-Alex
Old 11-26-2002, 01:25 PM
TTP
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Ahh ok.. I've never used the ultradev version..

I have used Dreamweaver since v2.0. Love it and Fireworks. But as for database access, I usually code all that in java under IBM Websphere with Host Publisher.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:46 PM

Default Never tried websphere. Yeah... after DW3.0 they came out with a Ultradev version....

I use DW day to day for web design but I still code all ASP and DB Access on my own.... security is big and DW just won't let me specify all of the needed items.

Its a good interface and probably makes quickwork of little DB access type apps but its not robust enough for my day to day.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default speaking of databases...

sorry to hijack your thread Sang, but does anyone know of open Oracle DBA positions? I've been looking for a while...(Would prefer VA/MD/DC area)

In the Oracle world I have set up real-time SQL results displayed on web pages server by Apache from an Oracle database but I haven't done the exact thing you seem to be looking for
Old 11-26-2002, 03:16 PM

Default Not a problem....

Mark,

Send me your resume and I'll distribute it to my "network" and see what hits. I currently work for a company that specializes in data mining, so we have a significant need for DBAs. Are you a developer type or admisistration type?

If you are interested send it to chos@sarsenconsulting.com
Old 11-26-2002, 03:19 PM

Default I don't need anything fancy, just some simple pages to add/modify/delete records

The database may have some links between tables.

I have limited time and dev experience, so a "gui" type developmental env is perferred.

I'll experiment w/ DW Ultradev and see how far I get.

As far as the platform is concerned, the server side is a Windows 2000 Server. I'm thinking about using the SQL Server 2000 that we already have loaded.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Suggestions for a tool to develop a simple web interface to access a small database