TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Test drove TTQ today! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-1999, 12:13 AM
johnkrls

Default Test drove TTQ today! (long)

I own a FWD TT and was eager to try a quattro for the feel of it. Well, today my wish was fulfilled and it felt GREAT! I tested a silver/ black 180Q at Carlsen in Palo Alto.
The massive torque we get with the FWD is obviously more controlled with the quattro and it almost feels faster in certain ways. Shifting felt better too - maybe Audi is already smoothing things out with the gears.
Anyway, I decided to put a dep down for a 225Q. I think it's worth it!
It's official... I'm TT crazed!
Old 09-04-1999, 04:55 AM
RW

Default Re: Test drove TTQ today! (long)

John,
Did you happen to notice if the cargo space was much smaller in the Quattro? Did the quattro seem slower or have lower gearing to compensate for the extra weight of the quattro system?

Thanks,
RW
Old 09-04-1999, 11:18 AM
Brad Willis

Hello John. You say that the torque feel "more controlled" in the TTQ. Do you think that's good or bad? Also, you said that it "almost feels faster in certain ways". Could you elaborate on that statement. Did it feel faster to you or not? Which of the two did you prefer, your FWD, or the TTQ? TIA.
Old 09-04-1999, 08:08 PM
johnkrls

Well, the torque control is good because when I push my FWD beyond 35rpm from 1st to 2nd, it slips and front wheels spin causing the traction control to kick in. For me that's a waste of torque that can be used for even better acceleration. With the TTQ such thing didn't occur. Even though the TTQ is heavier, acceleration was faster with better grip on the road. All these are obvious advantages of the all wheel drive system of course and that also showed when I took some tight turns at high speed. The FWD has a tendency to body roll but TTQ was steady as a rock. Even the gear box felt more sturdy. It let me do more of a short throw shifting than my FWD. So, I have to say that I prefer the TTQ.
It all comes down to personal taste of course. Both are awesome cars and a good driver can have lots of fun with both. But quattro coupled with 225hp will be THE combination! My dealer said that as soon as the 225s come out Audi will stop the 180s production.
Take care,
John K.
Old 09-04-1999, 08:23 PM
johnkrls

Cargo space is exactly the same. Somebody had mentioned that the floor in front of the rear seats was higher but didn't notice any height difference. For your other questions please refer to my answer to Brad.
Also, TTQ comes with the quattro tag on the glove box right across from the lock and below the trunk across from the TT logo. There is no traction control button (ASR). They substitute it with a blank black button.
Take care,
John K.
Old 09-04-1999, 08:41 PM
Brad Willis

Default With all due respect to John, that is incorrect information...

The trunk area of the Quattro is notably smaller than the 180 FWD's. This is due to both the Quattro system, and the larger fuel tank.
Old 09-04-1999, 08:50 PM
Brad Willis

I'd sure like to drive a Quattro to compare things for myself. My FWD TT has almost no body roll. It would be hard to imagine that the TTQ could be much better, if at all. Your comments regarding the transmission don't surprise me, as the Q's transmission appears to be superior to the FWD's, and is quite similar to the 225's, less the 6th speed. I'm guessing that you're dealer is full of it, regarding discontinuing the 180 once the 225 is released. In fact, I'll put money on it.
Old 09-04-1999, 09:13 PM
johnkrls

Default Oops, mea culpa...

I guess I checked the trunk rather hastifully... ;-)