TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Thinking to get a better sound out of my stock exhaust... Delete mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking to get a better sound out of my stock exhaust... Delete mufflers?

I was wondering what in your opinion, my best option is to get a better sound out of my stock exhaust. I definitely don't want it extremely loud, but a bit of improvement would be great!

Im fine if its going to be loud, as long as its not "PULL ME OVER" loud.

I don't think deleting cats is my best option, since i hear that it could throw faulty codes (CEL) and im most likely not going to pass Emission Test.

What are the pros and cons deleting the muffler? Maybe changing just the muffler to get better sound? Any slight improvement in performance?

What other options can you think of, other than buying a $600-700 Cat Back?

TIA
Old 12-26-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Well..

Taking out the cats would definitely throw you fault codes, plus, you will not pass the emissions test for sure.
You want to increase diameter of the entire exhaust ideally; if you cant, do something about the downpipe/cats.
Most aftermarket exhausts out there (Blueflame, APR, Borla) are more than $600-700. However, you may get the Blueflame catback from eBay around that price if you're lucky. Custom exhausts are, in my opinion, worth it, and they're cheaper than you think.
My recommendation is go custom for a couple hundred. Replace your junky, quiet stock muffler-- throw it away and never look back. Go big or go home!
Old 12-26-2007, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "better sound"?

Real subjective, of course, but I'd hesitate before just chopping the mufflers. Perhaps if you did that with a quality exhaust shop, they could suggest some decent quality replacement sport mufflers that could give you a bit more sound without getting too beercan on you. That's if you're completely set on not changing out to a better exhaust. By the time you spend labor $$ screwing around with parts you may not end up wanting, you might well be better off getting a better system designed for your car, and reap the (small but noticeable) performance benefits, especially if you are chipped.

Cheers,

Rich
Old 12-26-2007, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a cat back
Old 12-26-2007, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Cat Back options and prices on my Fotki.......................

No blue flame available right now on ebay, but they usually go for $650 shipped.<ul><li><a href="http://public.fotki.com/blackfnTTruck/cat-back-exhausts/">Cat Back</a></li></ul>
Old 12-26-2007, 03:07 PM

Default dogbone motor mount will give it a little more vroom!

but not much. It seemed to effect the harmonics inside cabin at any rate.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Most of the homemade attempts...>

sound like A$$.....Sometimes paying the $$ either for a good catback or to a good fabicator is worth it..
Old 12-26-2007, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Go Cat Back.....

If money is an option, just wait till you can find one used.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After years of researching and forum posts the best solution is >>>

hands down a Blueflame system (get 'em on Ebay). I love mine as do a bunch of others here.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I hacked my muffler off.

It sounds great.

I planned on doing it because I was just bored... I planned on getting a custom deal made... but I never did...

It sounds GREAT.

There is a video under my friends youtube name : Austinmann

Quick Reply: Thinking to get a better sound out of my stock exhaust... Delete mufflers?