TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Thoughts about build quality

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts about build quality

I cannot fathom why we are having so many problems with our TTs, and people with Japanese cars have so few. Do the Japanese know something Audi doesn't know?
I have the same questions regarding the American auto industry. From what I understand, after WW2 the Japanese studied the American car industry and how we put cars together. They then went home and emulated the process, improving upon it as they went along. Today they seem to build the most reliable cars.
What do they know that no one else knows?
I'm venting a bit here because my radio crapped out this morning, and all I could hear was muffled sound coming from the subwoofer, as well as the hideous creaking from behind the passenger seat in my 225QR.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your "radio" was built in Japan. :-)
Old 05-21-2002, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default man, get in a Maxima and you won't have that opinion anymore

I used to have a fair amount of respect for the Maxima as a mid level sedan. Used to, being the operative words!
Old 05-21-2002, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Study it my butt! (we showed them)

McArthur imported GM execs to initiate them into the 'merican way. They just are better at imitation then innovation. Regarding the TT, I have had no problems with mine since I got it in October of 2001.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:25 AM

Not a single problem with my 225QC!!! She's the best!!!
Old 05-21-2002, 08:26 AM

Default My radio/CD unit failed twice in my Infiniti. Then a speaker failed.

But that engine's still humming at 180k miles....just like your Audi will be if taken care of.

Cheer up and enjoy the drive....oh and let you mother-in-law out from behind that seat. lol!
Old 05-21-2002, 08:28 AM
Elder Member

Default A little perspective, please: Which is better: to suffer the odd busted radio and posessed window,

in order to drive a rolling work of art, or to drive a completely passionless, but perfectly functioning car? In the latter I suspect pedestrian design and generally lackluster aesthetics would certainly lead to a slower, more suffocating, demise - a death worthy of a lemming with no nearby cliffs.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:30 AM

Default Something wrong with "study," "my butt," and "we showed them" being in the same sentence. ;-0

and still being clean enough for the kids to read. LOL
Old 05-21-2002, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A little explanation...

I have had a Toyota Camary rental car. Actually this is my 2nd because the 1st one with less than 1500 miles BROKE! What a POS! These are the 2002 or 2003 whatever the newest model is. This thing is the most horrible thing I have ever rode in. Jap cars are not made well necessarily, at least not anymore. I have always either driven Mercedes, or a couple of Chrysler (a Jeep GC and a Durango) vehicles. I can say that Jap cars are not all they are made out to be. I know PLENTY of people who have major problems. Whether it is in the US or elsewhere build quality has to be understood as a multiplication. If you have 10 different workers who do work to your car and they all work at 98% (which is unheard of) you only get a car that is just over 80% in quality of workmanship. Kinda sucks doesn't it. Plus, our cars are NOT made in Germany, we tend to forget this. And a lot of Jap cars are now made in the good old USA with intoxicated union hicks building them. Could they put together a 68 Camaro, maybe, but not a modern car properly. All cars are built like crap these days. I beg you to find a make or model with almost no problems. It does not exist. You could always buy an M3, and then have the engine replaced each time it blows up. Makes you think about why they didn't use that engine for racing, and instead went with the cheater 8 cyl.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

lol :-P

Quick Reply: Thoughts about build quality