TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Thule 757 Roof Rack. . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thule 757 Roof Rack. . .

Anyone have any experience with this system? Looking at picking one up as an alternative to OEM.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Thule 757 Roof Rack. . .

I have one. Far inferior to the OEM rack, but it does the job. It will make your car look, ummm, utilitarian. It doesn't come off and go back on in minutes (as advertised). The design kinda sucks (do a search about this with my name... I reviewed the whole setup). And you NEED to get a fairing, unless you want a ton of interior noise from the load bars. You'll also lose 4-5 MPG. I've found this to be the best place to get them:

http://www.orsracksdirect.com

Then go to the customer returns section (they offer discounts... but no one ever returns a 757 because not many people even own them). They'll say they don't have any, but they'll give you an extra 10% off. That plus free shipping (and their prices are 10% cheaper to begin with) can save you a decent amount of cash. If you have any specific questions, let me know.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Have one with the fairing...still pretty noisy (I'm used to it, but there's a lot of wind noise even

if you move the fairing around). Everyone that rides with me immediately checks to see if their window is down-it's that noisy. I figure I can live with it for the ski rack/bike rack purpose. I agree that it doesn't go on and off in minutes. I put it on and it was such a pain, that it stays on year round. It will scratch up your roof some too. It has some clamps (it doesn't use those holes in the roof like the OEM rack does...it uses these clamp like things that go under the rubber seal of the window). It's just OK, but I don't know if there's a better option. If you want a picture of how it looks on the car, lemme know.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Have one on the wife's TT

The biggest issue with the rack, other than noise as has already been noted, is that bike racks foul the trunk lid if you install them per instructions. I've mounted Thule Velovise racks front-to-back in order to still be able to use the rear hatch.

I don't like the wind loads being applied to the bike racks where Thule never intended, but so far nothing has blown off. I did put some clips under the what is now front mounts to keep things together if the plastic piece that ties the tray to the mount decides to go south on her. Oh, and make sure your rear wheel quick release is tight too.

You also want to mount the front bar a bit further back than what Thule says. The window gasket is a dual density piece of rubber and if you locate the front bar per instructions the clips are in the high density portion and you get a lot of wind noise. Slide the bar back about 4" to where the window gasket gets softer and a lot of the noise goes away.