TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

time for new tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time for new tires

Hi. I used to be in this forum a long time ago, 1999-2002. I can't even remember what my old ID was so I've created a new one. :-)

Anyway, I've got a 2000 quattro coupe, 17" wheels. I blew out an original tire in a Mini Cooper-sized pothole in New Hampshire, put 4 new S03 PP's on it. I moved to Chicago after that and have hardly driven my car since being here, maybe 4k miles in 3 years ? (I picked up the car in Dec '99 and I just went over the 34k mark on the odometer.)

But now I'm driving more again, doing 200 mile round trips every 1-2 weeks, and will be doing so winter and summer. It's time to change the tires and I'm looking for a high performance all-season tire.

I'm having other maintenance done at the dealer right now and they offer Continental, Pirelli, and Michelin. I'm asking for prices for the ContiExtremeContact, P-Zero Nero, and Pilot Exalto AS. I'm sensitive to noise and feel and it appears the Pirelli might be best there, but I'm also concerned about driving on snow and ice.

If any of you have strong opinions, I'm all eyes. I did search the forum for these tires and overall I can't say I'm swayed toward any one in particular. I'll probably go with the Pirellis unless I get some new compelling info. :-)

Btw, I'm not an agressive driver unless I'm trying to shake some jerk off of my rear on an entrance/exit ramp. (Oh how I love surprising them when they try to take the ramp as fast as I can take it.) I'm normally cruising the expressways between 70-75. I don't do any challenging driving.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pzero Neros are a great tire. Quiet and great performer...>>

The Michelin is a better snow tire but for the money the Pirelli the way I would go.

Hope this helps and welcome back..:-)
Old 06-27-2006, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyo Proxes 4 are alright.

that's what i have...pretty reasonable in snow/rain as well, and really great in nice weather. kinda loud...but not too bad.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Buy tires from a competent tire shop...>>>

The prices will be better than at the Audi dealer, any many tire shops offer free rotation.

Go to the Tire Rack site and do a comparison for All Season tires.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

competent
Old 06-27-2006, 10:07 AM

Default update on tire availability at dealer

No go on the Pirelli P-Zero Neros. :-/ Likewise for the Contintental ContiExtremeContact.

Can get Pirelli P-6 4 Season but the Tire Rack reviews are horrid for this tire, so I'm totally turned off.

Michelin Pilot Exalto AS are available. I'll bet they've got the Pilot Sport AS too.

So now I have a decision, go with the Michelins or take the car elsewhere. Mitigating factors: one of the existing tires has a nail by the rim, so I should do something ASAP. Also, I've never been to a tire place since moving here, don't know where to go, don't have lots of free time, and get easily overwhelmed by things like this. :-) (Doctor says it's too much caffeine.)

I might just cave and get the Exaltos or, if the Sports are available, get the Sports. Both are very well reviewed on Tire Rack.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:10 AM

Default depends

are you hot
Old 06-27-2006, 10:12 AM

Default ...

are you ?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:14 AM

Default You could order the tires off tire rack and

use their recommendation for a shop to mount them.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:20 AM

Default hmmm, didn't know about that option

So I used the Tire Rack function to select an installer. I wish I didn't have that nail, it's causing me to be in a hurry and it's hard to make the best decision when in a hurry.

Time for some serious contemplation. :-)

Quick Reply: time for new tires