TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Tire pressure discussion... I know 36/33 (f/r) is OEM spec for a 225Q, but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure discussion... I know 36/33 (f/r) is OEM spec for a 225Q, but...

what doesn't make sense to me is that the lower pressure in the rear tires is intended to dial in understeer... TT's, at least '01 and later models w/ the MKII supsension, are known to understeer.

My question is this:
I know that increasing the rear tire pressures relative to the front is a way to dial in less understeer/more oversteer in the TT, so why wouldn't I want to even out the tire preassures in the front and rear in order to acheive more balanced handling?

Isn't balance handling the hallmark of a great sports car? Isn't that one of the characteristics that makes the S2000 so great on the track?

I'm just trying to make sense of all of this... I'm thinking for a good, balanced handling, and optimal street handling performance it would be best to set all tires to around 35-36 psi, right?
Old 03-13-2003, 06:48 AM

Default the front of the car weighs more... it's supposed to offset that.

isn't the understeer/oversteer inflation calculation most accurate on 50/50 weight distribution?

*btw, i'm just guessing at this, i have nothing to back it up.*
Old 03-13-2003, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had an Alfetta that was 50/50 weight distribution, I think that's what they mean....

...and not tire inflation.

I just like the way it feels with equalized pressure front and rear. That's this week! Who knows what I'll do next week. The nice thing about it is I can experiment.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:01 AM

Default Well, I'm not using my own guesstimations here, but what I've heard is...

that tire pressure on the TT works as follows:

Lower the tire preassure in the rears relative to the fronts to dial in understeer, and the opposite to dial in oversteer... this is what I've read, and what others have experienced to be true.

I also have read that the MKII suspension TT's naturally favor understeer, and I believe the opposite is true of the MKI suspension TT's (in that they favor oversteer). I'm wondering if putting higher preassure in the front relative to the rear started w/ the MKI TT's in an effort to balance out oversteer, and rather than complicate things further, Audi just decided to make that the pressure rule for all TT's regardless of suspension setup. Favoring understeer in all situations would tend to err on the side of safety for the relatively average driver, right?

Is this Audi covering their ****, or is the best performance with the MKII acheived by the 36/33 pressure setup?
Old 03-13-2003, 07:05 AM

Default You're right about the 50/50 weight distribution...

but what I'm getting at is that that 50/50 distribution was an effort to come out at the end result of balanced/even handling...

What do you set your pressure at all around?
Old 03-13-2003, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default MKI TT here - same stock pressures recommended......

I currently run 36 - 34 with my 235/40/18's on 8x8.5" rims. Seems to work well for me. Lot's of factors involved though. Wheel size, wheel width, type of tire etc. I've tried a bunch of different combos and this is the one that I like the most so far.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yesterday I set them up at 36 f&r.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

After the initial handling "issues," I think Audi is doing everything they can to prevent oversteer.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Backwards....>>

Lower pressures in the rear encourage Oversteer (to compensate for the natural understeer characteristics to a point). Tire slip angles change. Higher front vs rear balances a stock TT better because of this. I run even pressures front and rear, byt I have a totally different set-up and suspension parts which neutralizes much of the natural understeer...
Old 03-13-2003, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Backwards....>> schwing, I greatly respect your knowlege about the TT...

but taken from a post made by JohnLZ7W late yesterday:

"With the TT at least, part of the reason we run with lower pressure in the back is to dial in understeer. As you increase tire pressure for the rear tires you will get more neutral handling."

I don't know why it's the opposite w/ the TT, but for some reason it is! I actually just drove my car to the service station, and used the air hose to put both front and rears at 36 psi... The handling difference was immediately noticeable, and from my rather novice observations, what the previous quote stated appeard to be true.

Any idea why this might be?

Quick Reply: Tire pressure discussion... I know 36/33 (f/r) is OEM spec for a 225Q, but...