TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Treatise on effect of color on vehicle velocity.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2000, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Treatise on effect of color on vehicle velocity.

Treatise on effect of color on vehicle velocity.

After analyzing the colors of several audi TTs, I have come to the following conclusions:

All else being equal, the lake silver TT is the fastest, followed in order by amulet red, black (either), forest green, and denim blue.

These conclusions were reached by determining the RGB values for each color (by very scientifically holding a pantone color palette up to the color swatches in the TT sales brocure), with these results:

Silver 140/138/135
Amulet 124/33/30
Black 33/30/28
Green 0/68/56
Blue 0/38/73

As we all know, all colors of light propagate at the same velocity, so the only effect on overall speed must be made through uncertainty of position. As stated in the Hiesenberg uncertainty principle, the longer the wavelength, the more positional uncertainty. So red, must needs be the "fastest" color. As you can see, silver has the largest red component, and is therefor the fastest.
Old 11-27-2000, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Excellent! Confirms what we knew all along!
Old 11-27-2000, 08:28 AM
Elder Member

Finally, some real scientific PROOF to back up our seat-of-the-pants theories!!
Old 11-27-2000, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No wonder that Porsche 911 was faster. I got the blue! And all this time I thought it was the HP.

Silly me
Old 11-27-2000, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There is no forest green! I demand a recount!

The nature and extent of our current national crisis, as well as its causes and cures, are the subject of intense political struggle. I offer this letter as a contribution to that struggle and debate in hopes of helping to challenge THOSE WHO THINK SILVER IS FASTEST and their hostile refractory assumptions about merit.

For openers, THOSE WHO THINK SILVER IS FASTEST are careless with data, make all sorts of causal interpretations of things without any real justification, have a way of combining disparate ideas that don't seem to hang together, seem to show a sort of pride in its own biases, gets into all sorts of distasteful speculation, and then makes no effort to test out their speculations -- and that's just the short list! Incidentally, time cannot change the behavior of THOSE WHO THINK SILVER IS FASTEST. Time merely enlarges the field in which THOSE WHO THINK SILVER IS FASTEST can, with ever-increasing intensity and thoroughness, perpetuate the nonsense known technically as the analytic/synthetic dichotomy. Is that such a difficult concept?

When you tell the intimates of THOSE WHO THINK SILVER IS FASTEST that their associates' manuscripts are dangerous to our health, they begin to get fidgety, and their eyes begin to wander. They really don't care. They have no interest in hearing that their "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude is foolish, because it leaves no room for compromise. In short, once THOSE WHO THINK SILVER IS FASTEST accept responsibility for the problems they've caused, the focus shifts from who is responsible to what each of us can do about it.<ul><li><a href="http://www-csag.cs.uiuc.edu/individual/pakin/complaint">I didn't write this. Scott Pakin's complaint-letter-generator did!!</a></li></ul>
Old 11-27-2000, 08:37 AM

Default While I agree with your method, I think your data may be flawed

Specifically, the colors on the sales brochure are known to be an inaccurate representation of the actually TT colors. You need to take your pallette to a TT gathering and repeat the analysis
Old 11-27-2000, 08:39 AM

This would be scientific only if the colors in the brochure matched the actual car colors.
Old 11-27-2000, 08:42 AM

any one who disagrees can mail me thier right front quater-panel for analysis.
Old 11-27-2000, 08:48 AM
MIB

Default "Positional uncertainty"....doesn't know where it is? That doesn' t make it faster!

There is, of course, the idea that colour is determined by which wavelengths are reflected from the surface in question.
White (pure) is reflection of all colours (wavelengths). Black (pure) is total absorption of all wavelengths.

What logically follows is that the Black-appearing vehicle is absorbing more energy, especially on a sunny day, and therefore possesses some finite amount of extra energy, over an above that of any other "colour" vehicle.

This should be intuitively obvious by noting the surface temperature of vehicles parked in the sun; black is the hottest. That extra molecular energy causes Black to be faster!

Ever try to race an SR-71 Blackbird?
Old 11-27-2000, 08:55 AM

Default without a doubt, Silver is the FASTEST -------->

selling color !!!

Quick Reply: Treatise on effect of color on vehicle velocity.