TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TT could be the leader in its class, but Audi is holding the vehicle down...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TT could be the leader in its class, but Audi is holding the vehicle down...

Ok, so expensive and crazy tech mods aside we end up with the following mods that really matter for HP: Chip, DV, Intake, FMIC, and exhaust(?). With those installed my car, the vehicle is an entirely new beast that takes out the so called competition without an effort. So... what prevented Audi from tunning the chip a little, give it a bit more airflow, putting a DV that can handle extra boost, and installing more efficient intercooler? I mean the car is handling all this power with ease! I just don't get it. The 'Never Follow' slogan of the company I guess doesn't apply to turbo TT.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this is sheer quess but I'd bet the number that actually tunes their TT is

around 30%. So Audi want to sell cars at a reasonable price. Plus, isn't it fun to tune your car the way you want to tune and at the same time you can really get to know your car that much more....it becomes more of a personal choice. No "cookie cutter" thing kind of mentality here. Never follow here means "i don't want to own BMW, MB just cuz my neighbor has one....
Old 10-31-2003, 10:20 AM

Default Audi could also actually care about the car's "real" faults, like the FSUs, clusters, window regs...

but they don't. I don't understand it at all.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Performance is far from the only concern...

The car "seems" to be handling it just fine, but will it last 50000 miles running with extra boost? Will <b>all</b> TTs? How about wear and tear to other components?

Audi doesn't just choose a random number of parts, they choose them to maximize performance while (and here's the important bit) minimizing warranty repair costs with an eye towards making everything last at least 4 years/50K miles.

If an aftermarket boost controller causes your turbo to fry after 25K miles, it's no big deal to the manufacturer. If it causes problems running at 10,000 feet at temperatures below 10 degrees F, it's a software "bug." But these things would be unacceptable to a car manufacturer and thus Audi needs to take them into account...
Old 10-31-2003, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default From factory it would not be expensive upgrades. I agree it's fun to tune your car, but the reviews

are done on all stock cars. So, if the Audi wanted a larger market share I don't know why they don't make minor adjustments that equate to greater HP numbers and bigger sales. But then again, I do like the fact that there aren't that many TTs around... but I also would love for the not modded guys to experience what I do every time I drive my car.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They don't ALL fail...

With things like FSUs, clusters, etc. it's far cheaper to replace the ones that do fail than to replace them all.

They <b>have</b> changed manufacturers of many components more than once, so when there <b>is</b> an issue they try to address it, but they're not going to change vendors until they see a certain percentage of failures that we just haven't seen here even when it comes to relatively common issues like these.

(For example, I did have a cluster replaced in my 2001 TTQC but never had any window issue and can't at the moment think of <b>any</b> common window regulator issue...)
Old 10-31-2003, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm sure you're right, but I still think there is a great deal of untapped potential that Audi

doesn't take andvantage of.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i wonder just how much the factury tune would cost?-------->

yes, but the reviews didn't deter you from buying your TT...you knew you could tune it up
Old 10-31-2003, 10:31 AM

Yes, but for some they NEVER work. They can't seem to fix my windows and they don't really care.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:33 AM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

Default They did what was asked......

and added the VR6. For over 3 years this is what folks have wanted albeit 300hp. Better brakes, 18" wheels, better suspension and VR6. Some feel shorted without the 6 speed and spare tire but is a logical progression prior to a newer production model altogether. I'm sure the TT market overall was taken into account in this decision. One can still mod the hell out of a 180 or 225 Q.

Quick Reply: TT could be the leader in its class, but Audi is holding the vehicle down...