TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

The TT has grown up...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The TT has grown up...

Like it or not, our TT has grown up. It is no longer the neighborhood kid that thumbed his nose at convention. It is no longer the simple stripped down, low-tech, aluminum clad "time machine" it once was, which could take your dreams and daytime visions to a rare place in your heart.

The MK-I said to all, I am different, I am not like others . . . and I heard the call!

It has inevitably spoken these infamous words... "When I was a child, I spoke as a child... Now that I have become a man, I have put away childish things."

In doing so it has said yes to mainstream and embraced styling cues that almost all but a few have adopted. It has said yes to the NEW future, even shunning greater horsepower for fear of seeming immature or garish, and succumbed to more of a "Function over Form" attitude in an attempt to satisfy all!

To all of the MK-II squawkers (counting myself) I say it is human nature to dislike the latest version (for envious reasons). It makes us want "both" the old and the new in one breath, the best of both worlds.

I am glad the MK-I has finally been redesigned, so only limited numbers of the original can exist. Watching the online broadcast for the MK-II, I could not conceive a repeat of the heart-pounding, neck-wrenching reaction I had the first time I saw the original TT speeding out of a tollbooth in NH! (Although I secretly wished it could happen to me again)

So here's to the first... the one and only MK-I, and I'm glad I have one in the garage.

From my perspective I don't think the MK-I will ever "grow up" so I'm sure with some future help from Stage-3, it will not go quietly into that good night!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Very well said.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:46 AM

Default Well said. There can be only one original

And I'm glad I have mine. The latest is an evolution of design. Where the previous one broke the mold and didn't really take any design cues from vehicles that were currently on the road the new one does at almost every opportunity. I think we will continue to see the change and evolution of a "car" while we will continue to own the "original". The new car will have fans, it will have haters, and it will change and forever be just another car, another choice, on the market.

I own an Excelsior Henderson Motorcycle which some of you may know attempted a comeback that was short lived, my motorcycle is one of just under 2000 ever produced and 1 of 200 "Deadwoods" ever made. When they went out of business some people were buying, others were selling, but the true believers all had a motto and I think of the TT in the same light.

"I got mine"

Nothing is going to change that.

Trent
Old 04-11-2006, 09:54 AM

AMEN
Old 04-11-2006, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

here,here.......well said.........
Old 04-11-2006, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Call me Peter Pan, then!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:16 AM

Your soooo right and "I got mine", I'll never sell!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:20 AM

Default A friend of mine said at a glance he thought it was just re-skinned.

That it looked the same. I told him the proof was in the details. But he's a car guy and that was his initial perception. He didn't like it much.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:25 AM

Default Yep, flame me, but it looks richer/higher class....>>>

just like the VW Jetta that was "all grown up" on the recent redesign, so it is that the TT falls into the same. I think that the MK2 retains alot of current styling, but Audi is trying to go after a higher age bracket while still keeping the price somewhat affordable.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yup... those guys make thier payments on time ;-)

Quick Reply: The TT has grown up...