TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TTE Folks - Beware the cops! I got tossed in OK when I went to visit my

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTE Folks - Beware the cops! I got tossed in OK when I went to visit my

sisters in Atlanta. I was going 77 in a 70 and they gave me a warning. THEN, they searched my car for 40 minutes. There was nothing to find because I didn't have anything. Just be prudent. Don't attract attention by speeding. And, BTW, you can't hide anything in your car. The goons looked EVERYWHERE! Wish I could join you at TT East. Next time........
Old 05-31-2005, 06:19 PM
Rest In Peace

did you agree to a search???? cause its illegal unless you agree
Old 05-31-2005, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I did. Because I wasn't carrying anything. But there is probably

no right or wrong answer. If they want to search they will. I don't trust cops anymore. They are not your friends. And you know what? Any common criminal can outwit these folks. It hurts when you think you are a decent human being and you are abused and treated as a crook.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Yeah, for tickets and stuff like that>>>>

I don't care for cops too much either. Plenty of people go too fast, why couldn't they pick someone else dammit?! And there do seem to be a number of cops with attitudes out there.

But I will say that I think cops have tough job at times - putting their own lives on the line. Most jobs don't require that sort of thing. Mine certainly doesn't. They have to deal with a lot. And just remember, they don't know you and don't trust you either. I've always found that the best (and quickest) way to deal with cops is in a nice way. That way you don't give them a reason to not like you and make them want to search your car.

Don't get me wrong though...have your set of rules too. Say you didn't know how fast you were going because if you say "yeah, I knew I was going 77" then they will use that against you. But just be nice. It's helped me. I have never (knock on wood) gotten a ticket.

Just thought I'd mention...
Old 05-31-2005, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HasTTa?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I was nice. Their job is tough but it shouldn't be stupid. I worry about

them. You don't toss a 60 year old guy who has all his papers in order and comes back clean on the call in. 1984 has finally arrived. We live in a police state. These guys were way out of line.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:57 PM

Default hmmm...that does seem kinda rough...

Sorry about all that. Doesn't sound like much fun. I guess every profession has its share of stupids and crazies. Try to get pulled over by the nice cops next time
Old 05-31-2005, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

~shudder~ hope not
Old 05-31-2005, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: HasTTa?

Sorry I missed you on my trip. I stayed north and avoided ATL.

My g/f says, "I have been revealed and they are just going to kick you off again". Oh well! Jim
Old 05-31-2005, 08:31 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Actually, that's not necessarily true...

The standards for a vehicular search are pretty low (Terry v Ohio and Carroll v United States) due to "factors of mobility". Officers cannot search without consent unless there is some sort of probable cause or reasonable suspicion depending on the circumstances (again, a fairly easy standard to justify).

If they had found something, they would have had to detail the probable cause in their report. It's hard to say what their concern was, either legit or some sort of fishing expedition.

Quick Reply: TTE Folks - Beware the cops! I got tossed in OK when I went to visit my