TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

TTZ..I installed the armrest! My first mod!! I think I could cut the install time from 3+ hours

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTZ..I installed the armrest! My first mod!! I think I could cut the install time from 3+ hours

to about 5-10 minutes based on what I now know and not having to wait for Schwing to reply to my emails..... (thank you Steve..really! Kiss, kiss)I wonder what other mods I can do by myslef.....
Old 09-08-2002, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

can you mention "what you now know" ? por favor, gracias.
Old 09-08-2002, 02:40 PM

Default Oh sure, so you can mock me, Keith ;-PP Let me just say that

the word TORX was not in my vocabulary until yesterday and the three hours included 2 trips to Home Depot as well as email time......:-D
Old 09-08-2002, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i was serious!! :) i'm getting mine soon, and any advice is much appreciated

i haven't disassembled this car at all yet, i'm a little leery of rattles upon reassembly. i have enough as is!

my a4, on the other hand, was strewn in pieces all over my driveway.. i had pretty much the entire car gutted when i did the stereo install.

of course, my luck, it'll arrive on yom kippur, and it'll be torture to sit around staring at the box...
Old 09-08-2002, 03:28 PM

Default 3 + hours down to 5 - 10 minutes???????????

Ok - not getting it. The instructions seem to indicate its just two scews to take out? What did you do? Or - what don't I know?

And when do we see pics -
And what do you think of my new sig.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:07 PM

Are you getting the ebay version or the strat version?
Old 09-08-2002, 04:18 PM

Default Ok--what I didn't know was how to remove the cupholder....(longish).

Once Schwing told me how to do that, I then had to remove the screws that are in the tunnel thing so I could fasten down the armrest...I thought they were allen wrench screws,,,,so I went to home depot and got an allen wrench set. I came home and couldn't figure out why (in the dark of night) I couldn't get those screws out. After an exchange of email with Schwing and many trips downstairs with a flashlight,we figured out that they were torx screws. Today I went to Home Depot, stood in line and returned the allen wrench set,got a torx set, stood in line, paid for that, came home, removed the torx screw things, got set to put the new screws in to secure the armrest and noticed that the new screws were allen screws...came upstairs, rooted through Mr Toolbox and found a lone allen wrench that worked so I fastened it down, put the tunnel cover on and emailed Schwing....time elapsed: plus or minus three hours. If I had to do it again, 5-10 minutes. Is there anything else you need to know about how to install this thing...BTW don't forget that this is the ebay version,I think it looks great, I like the new single cupholder and I saved a bunch of $$
I LOVE the new sig, Tommy--I'm a big R&B fan and I'm humming the theme song as I type
Old 09-08-2002, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

the ebay version..did you buy the "medallions" to cover the front holes?
Old 09-08-2002, 06:13 PM

Default I got a single medallion to cover the hole in the front ...I left it upstairs

and haven't gone back out...will put it in tomorrow. Where in NJ are you? (I think I've asked before, but I don't remember...)
Old 09-08-2002, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i live in succasunna, i commute to school in madison (my last semester!)

Quick Reply: TTZ..I installed the armrest! My first mod!! I think I could cut the install time from 3+ hours