TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Turbo Flutter and slight delay-After New Stock Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So heres another thought. Remeber when you guys were originally helping me a few weeks back and I had that vaccum hose split close to the firewall? Well, I had the original mechanic do a smoke test then. When I picked up the car, he said that there seemed to be a leak at the oil fill cap as well and changed the cap.

Well somewhere on the report from the Audi technician he wrote down that there was oil leaking. He doesnt say from where..and I havent seen any oil leaking on the ground or anything. But it makes me wonder even more about the pcv. I'll order one and see if that brings my boost back.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by carolhern
So heres another thought. Remeber when you guys were originally helping me a few weeks back and I had that vaccum hose split close to the firewall? Well, I had the original mechanic do a smoke test then. When I picked up the car, he said that there seemed to be a leak at the oil fill cap as well and changed the cap.

Well somewhere on the report from the Audi technician he wrote down that there was oil leaking. He doesnt say from where..and I havent seen any oil leaking on the ground or anything. But it makes me wonder even more about the pcv. I'll order one and see if that brings my boost back.

All of those hoses under the intake manifold are suspect. An AW now QW acquaintance wrote this on the subject 10 years ago. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-...-long-1946776/ When one of them has a split or tear it will often blow oil ( vapor) in that area too. Only way I've ever been able to find every leak under there is with the pressure test that I described earlier. That said your code describing inadequate output from the MAF still seems to be the heart of the problem based on your descriptions and my reading them from afar.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Installed a new PCV yesterday. No boost
Disconnected the MAF today. No boost.

THis weekend I'll start back to square one. Look for leaks.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Done pressurizing the lines to about 10-12 psi. I couldn't find a damn leak.

Does anyone know how to test the N75? I changed it in the beginning with one from some ebay person who no longer is registered..so makes me wonder if it was bad.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wonder why the car seems to run even worse after pressurizing the lines then it did before doing that test.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I"m back!!!!

So I've been driving the car to work every day all this time with no boost. I bought the VAG Com from Ross tech and it's been sitting in the box because work got overwhelming busy after two co-workers decided to move on. I figured I'd take advantage of the Christmas shut-down if it didn't rain to finally get this taken care of.

Well, two days ago I was waiting down the street at the corner for traffic to pass so I can turn right. I was just sitting there waiting and the car almost died. RPMS went all the way down, right before cutting off it when back up again. then it bounced a bit, almost died again..and something sounded really really slow in the engine. LIke the belts or something were moving in slow motion. The car then bounced up in RPM, never died and I was able to turn around and drive it back home. I thought ."..darn, maybe its the alternator."

Today I drove it to the shop. Told the mechanic it almost died the other morning, and by the way...it still won't boost, so maybe its all related. The mechanic got a P0422 code. Told him the O2 sensors were just changed and the old one were still in the car. Nothing wrong with them, but I just changed them out trying to find the boost issue. Well, he said he got in the car to test drive it..and it wouldn't go anywhere. Its totally undrivable, smells bad and the CAT is clogged.

Is it better to buy the CAT at the dealer for $1300? I'm hoping the bad CAT is what was the boost problem (keeping my fingers crossed!!!)
Old 12-09-2017, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

For an old car a universal Cat is fine. Keep in mind that many remove their all together. I know you can't do this in California though.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

No, I can't do that. I'm in California and due for smog next month.

So a Universal is fine without having to deal with any weird O2 sensor issues/codes?
Old 12-09-2017, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

If you keep the stock downpipe the TT will require dual converter something like this— https://www.autozone.com/emission-co...719_2149_31075

Good luck with your repair. It sounds like you could be on the right track with the clogged converter theory.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmm...everything I search with my year shows not dual, something like this https://www.autozone.com/emission-co...71_943996_5320 and they all say they can't ship to California.

I may have to buy the one for $1300-$1400 (ouch ouch ouch)

Carol

Quick Reply: Turbo Flutter and slight delay-After New Stock Turbo