TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

UPDATE: It is the Water Pump, but Audi's paying half the cost...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UPDATE: It is the Water Pump, but Audi's paying half the cost...

The tech. finished replacing the temp. sender, took it for a test drive, and it over-heated.

That's why the Oil Temp went high also, as I suspected.

They have it mostly apart now, and they will be doing the water pump, thermostat, timing belt and idler/arm pulley.

Audi will pay half the labor/parts cost for the pump and thermostat, as I am at 55K miles, just out of warranty.
I lobbied for at least this much, and they stepped up to the plate here well.

I will pay 100% the cost of the timing belt and idler pulley.

Somewhat ironically, I had planned to do this all next summer, when I got close to 65K miles.

Audi is saving me over $400, and I think that's OK.

I firmly believe that the result here is my continued good will and friendly terms with my local dealer, Carousel Audi here in Minneapolis.

I have been in good favor with the techs and Service Manager, and it's paid off.

Bad news is... Audi Water pumps Bite!
Old 11-24-2003, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thought of Audi water pumps always puts a chill up my spine
Old 11-24-2003, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Our A4 choked on one last month, $1200-pump,timing,thermo, idlers
Old 11-24-2003, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yep knowing the service mgr is good

my car wnet in for its first service today. One thing the tech did not ID is the vacuum hose connecting to the hard intercooler hose was spraying a bit of oil (onto hard intercooler tube), so the tech knows I know the mgr and is having him look at it. Probably not anything, I just want all problems documented in case I need them for future reference.

It does help the service mgr is just a nice guy too.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, our A4 lost it at 22K...kinda early, hence the chill....good advice on keeping in good

faith with your dealer because if you just happen to be over warranty, good history with them might pay off. The efficiency of a dealer starts with management. The idea of good service does not revolve around "the customer is always right" any longer. It is, IMHO, which customer will give me 5 stars for the amount of work I put into this? Sounds cynical, doesn't it?
Old 11-24-2003, 01:24 PM
gtt
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, good relations can help. I myself had some pro bono done by my dealer.....

My VW van needed an oil cooler and breather hose and cap for the tranny as was leaking. I was sure my warranty was 5/50, while I'm at 57k, but service writer insisted was 10/100 even after I questioned him again. Was told recently that he input the work and it had been kicked back for payment. My dealer covered the entire job of tranny service and oil cooler and breather replacement.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Excellent deal...>>

Knew it had to be more than a sensor with the symptoms you had. Glad it'll all be fixed!
Old 11-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Audi's been a lot more cooperative on this sort of thing than they used to be.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:31 PM

Default Just had the pump go out on my A6 @ 55k miles; it's an '00 so only 36k warranty.

Myt dealer cut me a great discount on the labor though and I also had the timing belt replaced at the same time.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Lucky dog! My A4 showed signs 6 months before warranty expired, but I had to pay full.

I reported a wheezing noise at least 6 months before the warranty expired, and the dealer said they could never hear or find what I was talking about. I was SO PISSED when months after warranty expiration, they wouldn't step up to the plate and offer any compensation even though my complaints were written right in the car logs. Establishing relations with the dealership, Royal Motors in SF, was not an option since the place treats their customers like cattle. I now drive 25 miles further for my service on both the A4 and the TT.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: It is the Water Pump, but Audi's paying half the cost...