TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

V1 Question. If you are hit with Ka instant on (from behind in this example), how long does it take

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V1 Question. If you are hit with Ka instant on (from behind in this example), how long does it take

for the officer to actually get a speed reading.

I was going 80/85ish (don't know exact speed) on the cross westchester freeway (a 55 zone), had no advance blips, when the V1 loudly gave the Ka warning. I immediately braked as safely as possible knowing no one was close behind and got under 70 very quickly (by the time my eyes went from the road to the remote V1 display to the speedo (why I don't know my exact speed)). Thought I was nailed but he didn't pursue.

Is there a one or 2 second delay between the radar signal going out when the cop gets a speed lock, or was I perhaps not the target (I was in a middle lane) or was he simply looking to ticket those going faster.

Also, is there a 'time to lock' difference between the various bands?
Old 06-19-2001, 10:18 AM
Eighth Member of AudiWorld. God-like, glorious and all-knowing.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: V1 Question. If you are hit with Ka instant on (from behind in this example), how long does it t

I can't give you a specific answer, but generally, if an officer hits instant on and you are the target, there's a good chance you are toast, no matter the quality of the detector.

What usually happens is that the officer is clocking someone else, and you pick up that signal.
Old 06-19-2001, 10:25 AM

Thanks. I thought so. I'll consider myself lucky on this one!
Old 06-19-2001, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Instant on is very good , but... the radar unit has to read the doppler shift of the return signal..

If you react quick enough and get on the brakes hard enough the radar cannot lock onto you because of the rapid change in speed. Therefore, you CAN get it down to the limit before it gets a lock. However, you're going to be severly nose-down and the cop will know what you're doing. But then again, he has to prove it. At any rate, he's probably going to pull you over and give you a hard time about something -- anything.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:25 AM

Default Re It only takes a few 10 ths of a second depending on distance, so

if he was aiming at you he got you but didn't want you.
Old 06-19-2001, 12:35 PM

Re your sig: Nice Audi collection. Is that your house?? :-)
Old 06-19-2001, 01:19 PM

Default I don't think the time is very large. The pulses are out and back in a microsecond or so....

at 500 feet range. Processing takes maybe a couple of milleseconds, so in all, you've probably moved a foot or so (@85 mph) from the time the radar energy leaves the gun, hits you, returns to the gun and is processed (5 millesecs).

Even if I'm off by an order of magnitude, it's only 2/3 of a car length. Unfortunately, even a V1 has some reaction time..probably greater than 5 or even 50 milleseconds. Add your reaction time, which is probably 100-500 milleseconds if you are VERY good at reacting to surprises, and the vehicle's 100-500 milleseconds reaction to your brake spike, and you get the idea.

FWIW: Used to teach airborne radar. In an aircraft going 600 mph, a radar pulse leaving the aircraft, striking a target 80 miles away and returning happens in the time the 600 mph a/c moves about the length of a cigarette.

Bottom line is you probably can't beat a IO Ka if it's pointed at you. Been there, tried that. Lost anyway.

My $.02
Old 06-19-2001, 02:10 PM

My only thought was that if the guns need to process some sort of 'lock' on the vehicle.
Old 06-19-2001, 02:27 PM

Default A couple hundred millesecs, I believe, for lock. Too fast for me,

but I'm getting old. Maybe you kids can do it!
Old 06-19-2001, 02:38 PM

ROTFLMAO!!

Quick Reply: V1 Question. If you are hit with Ka instant on (from behind in this example), how long does it take